free website stats program Glue for metal | Harley Davidson Forums

Glue for metal

Any of the companies that specialize in body work supplies (is Eastwood), sell various glues that work quite well for door skins and the like. I have also used a glue that I think I purchased at Home Depot that was about 1/4 of the cost of the Eastwood product and worked just as well. It was in the caulk isle , but the brand name escapes me (maybe P&L?), but it is clearly marked "metal glue", and forms a good bond and is waterproof. Used it on several antique car restorations with great results.

I find J.B. Weld does a good job. It,s 2 tubes of goop you mix together to make a strong bond. Sold at most auto oe hardware stores.

First off Dogdad what are you trying to repair?

Ditto...need some detail on what you're trying to bond b/c if it's a critical part that requires "permanent" bond glue might not be the best solution. I've used JB weld on some projects, but never on my bike. Welding might be the way to go here...???

What is the application, does it have to take heat, will it show. If it is in a heated area I would suggest the stuff that is used for muffler bandages.

I use JB weld also they have two one that takes overnight to cure and one that will cure quickly not sure what time frame anyway I only use the overnight cure and never had a problem both can be found at home depot, of course like others are saying if this is a critical component some sort of welding may be required.

As others have said, gluing MAY be okay...but personally would not use it in any critical application or one where stresses or environment can "soften" bond...oh yeah, in a pinch Hogrotten's approach is a classic!:newsmile100: Notice that little cross on laughing smiley's hat...its' there for a reason!

Some times I've been accused of gluing, but mostly I used Bubble Gum other names for my welding escaped me.:newsmile061:

Not knowing the application and type of metal, if similar or Dis-similar metal does make a Big difference esp when flame or electric welding processes are applied.

Bubbie the retired welder. Or is that retarded like Glide might think? :D

Back