Glue for metal

Discussion in 'General OFF TOPIC' started by dogdad, May 8, 2010.

1. dogdad

dogdad Active Member

Any recommendations on glue to attach two pieces of metal together?

2. The4opps1

The4opps1 Junior Member

Any of the companies that specialize in body work supplies (is Eastwood), sell various glues that work quite well for door skins and the like. I have also used a glue that I think I purchased at Home Depot that was about 1/4 of the cost of the Eastwood product and worked just as well. It was in the caulk isle , but the brand name escapes me (maybe P&L?), but it is clearly marked "metal glue", and forms a good bond and is waterproof. Used it on several antique car restorations with great results.

3. caseyleiser

caseyleiser Active Member

I find J.B. Weld does a good job. It,s 2 tubes of goop you mix together to make a strong bond. Sold at most auto oe hardware stores.

4. cromwell

cromwell Active Member

A good Arc-Mig-Tig welder works wonders.

5. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Ditto...need some detail on what you're trying to bond b/c if it's a critical part that requires "permanent" bond glue might not be the best solution. I've used JB weld on some projects, but never on my bike. Welding might be the way to go here...???

6. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

What is the application, does it have to take heat, will it show. If it is in a heated area I would suggest the stuff that is used for muffler bandages.

7. Wayne R

Wayne R Active Member

I use JB weld also they have two one that takes overnight to cure and one that will cure quickly not sure what time frame anyway I only use the overnight cure and never had a problem both can be found at home depot, of course like others are saying if this is a critical component some sort of welding may be required.

8. hogrotten

hogrotten Junior Member

Baleing wire, lots of baleing wire!
    :newsmile100: :newsmile100: :newsmile100:

9. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

As others have said, gluing MAY be okay...but personally would not use it in any critical application or one where stresses or environment can "soften" bond...oh yeah, in a pinch Hogrotten's approach is a classic!:newsmile100: Notice that little cross on laughing smiley's hat...its' there for a reason!

10. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Some times I've been accused of gluing, but mostly I used Bubble Gum other names for my welding escaped me.:newsmile061:

Not knowing the application and type of metal, if similar or Dis-similar metal does make a Big difference esp when flame or electric welding processes are applied.

Bubbie the retired welder. Or is that retarded like Glide might think? :D