free website stats program Getting rolling from a start - both feet down, or one up? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting rolling from a start - both feet down, or one up?

Interesting question. When I took my test I was asked which foot do I put down first at a stop. If I would have answered left I would have lost points. I think the powers that be want you to keep your foiot on the brake while stopped. But different conditions call for different measures. Your call I think.

Bike is in gear with the clutch in, its just the way we are taught over here, i do stop occasionally if i know the area and have both feet down and the bike neutral with my arms hanging down gets the blood back to the hands after a long stint

Agree with Joy & Hobbit...was taught the hard lesson I should have remembered from the MSF Rider Safety Course recommendation of leaving bike in gear with right foot covering the brake, hand on the throttle, eyes checking the sides and rear mirrors in case you may have to make an unexpected accel & turn maneuver...why you may ask? :s

Got rear ended early in my motocycling days at a red stop light (the only moving bike accident I have been in); had just put bike in neutral, a lady in a cage slowed but did not stop and pushed me about 5 feet (I was holding the right brake lever HARD) otherwise she would have pushed me all the way into the intersection. Damaged my luggage rack, left big skid mark, but thankfully I was able to keep the rubber side down for the most part (tipped it over after car stopped, glad I wore good safety gear, especially the boots) was able to drive away after doing the trading info thing...real lucky I was not hurt! :newsmile063:

You can put bike in neutral if the car behind you is stopped completely, is not too close, you have a particularly long traffic light and your clutch lever is particularly stiff (you can lighten the pull with a simple mod to the clutch actuator). But why bother? I am in SoCal and things move too quickly to put it into neutral with rider flip/flopping foot position, head checking before the cagers behind start honking their horns. :11:

Last edited:
I always put both feet down. More balance. Less chance of something causing a fall to the right. I've seen some weird things happen at stop lights. Folks falling over because they didn't put either foot down. A sudden cross breeze from the left and a bike goes over to the right. Stopping with the right foot on rear brake, moving the left foot and having a boot slide.

And the worst of the worse... Getting ready to put you right foot down and realizing the kicker arm is inside the leg of yours pants....

I never thought about this before. Read this yesterday & when I went for a ride I watched what I was doing, most of the time its left foot down,sometimes both ,but thanks watching what I was doing made my ride feel clumsy!

And the worst of the worse... Getting ready to put you right foot down and realizing the kicker arm is inside the leg of yours pants....[/QUOTE]

Know EXACTLY what you mean.Way back in 1977 i stopped on my Ducati at some traffic lights,caught my kickstart lever up inside my jeans and started to topple over.It's absolutely amazing how much force you can exert on denim to rip out the bottom of your jeans when you have to.Like when 220kg of Duke is coming to meet you!

That's exactly why we teach left foot down in MSF! (Glad you came out unhurt!)

Agree with Joy & Hobbit...was taught the hard lesson I should have remembered from the MSF Rider Safety Course recommendation of leaving bike in gear with right foot covering the brake, hand on the throttle, eyes checking the sides and rear mirrors in case you may have to make an unexpected accel & turn maneuver...why you may ask? :s

Got rear ended early in my motocycling days at a red stop light (the only moving bike accident I have been in); had just put bike in neutral, a lady in a cage slowed but did not stop and pushed me about 5 feet (I was holding the right brake lever HARD) otherwise she would have pushed me all the way into the intersection. Damaged my luggage rack, left big skid mark, but thankfully I was able to keep the rubber side down for the most part (tipped it over after car stopped, glad I wore good safety gear, especially the boots) was able to drive away after doing the trading info thing...real lucky I was not hurt! :newsmile063:

You can put bike in neutral if the car behind you is stopped completely, is not too close, you have a particularly long traffic light and your clutch lever is particularly stiff (you can lighten the pull with a simple mod to the clutch actuator). But why bother? I am in SoCal and things move too quickly to put it into neutral with rider flip/flopping foot position, head checking before the cagers behind start honking their horns. :11:

I never thought about this before. Read this yesterday & when I went for a ride I watched what I was doing, most of the time its left foot down,sometimes both ,but thanks watching what I was doing made my ride feel clumsy!

It's bizarre how when we concentrate and try to observe what we have been doing automatically for years makes it awkward and difficult but then, we don't analyse our actions when we are walking.

It's bizarre how when we concentrate and try to observe what we have been doing automatically for years makes it awkward and difficult but then, we don't analyse our actions when we are walking.

Romain, you are so right...tonight when I got out of work, it was pitch black, could not see the bike at all. Another car passed by for a glance, enough to get to and on the bike. Then total darkness, could not even see my hands.

I was surprised how everything was automatic by feel only, (I have only had my Harley 'bout 2 months)! Put on my riding gear (black helmet, black gloves), put bike in neutral, reached down, pulled the choke, used key to unlock the bars, moved key to the ignition, turned on (probably the only time I was glad the lights come on when you turn key to run), started up the bike and I drove away, no fuss.

Repetition and experience really does go a long way... :small3d006:

Last edited:
Back