free website stats program Getting rear ended and tar snakes | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting rear ended and tar snakes

I always do the following:

• When applying brakes, I manually flash them at start, like a brake light modulator would do, but not if turn signals are on (confusing to others). That is why no modulator.
  • Never pull up behind stopped vehicle in front of me. Always at least a 1/2 car length separation, and to either left or right side of lane.
  • Always keep scoot in gear, with right foot on brake, left on ground, both hands on controls (clutch and gas)...ready to take off if needed.
  • Always pick and plan the escape route, forward and out of incoming path, and be ready to move there.
  • Watch rear view, until vehicle behind somes to full stop, flashing brake lights with hand control until obvious that he will stop. You can most times determine how close they get by when you stop flashing. (You will have to release the foot brake while flashing with hand control.
  • For added safety, have installed Muth signal mirrors. One of the best investments to scoot so far. They are more visible than the tail lights, and I can see that I have signals on without looking down at the dash.

I have the same taillight that wilkes3 mentioned and it really does work. A few months back at night I was stopped at a light with traffic on both sides and a pickup in front of me, usually this light changes pretty quick but on this night it didnt. I could see a car in my rearview barreling toward me and he was probally trying to time the light hoping it would be green by the time he reached us, I was squeezing the front brake lever trying to get his attention, finally the kid realized the light wasn't changing and slammed on his brakes, squealing tires and all and stopped about a foot from me. Needless to say I was more than scared, I was so mad and I just stood up turned around and pointed at him. The light turned green and we took off and this car stayed way behind me till I turned off. I was shaking the rest of the ride home and didnt ride for the next couple days to calm down. I decided to get a new taillight I saw on some bikes in my hog chapter and this new one flashes when I hit the brakes and its really bright, for the most part, cars keep their distance and the ones who still tailgate I just use the hand signal to slow down and they back off.

Back