free website stats program Getting rear ended and tar snakes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting rear ended and tar snakes

Some roads are loaded with tar snakes. They become very slippery after the hot sun has had it fun with them. I have found them to be as slippery as sand.

Good advise about not stopping in the middle of your lane! Having the edge of the lane as a possible escape route (with the bike in gear) is good thinking.

==========================================================

You also might consider not stopping in the middle of the road with a vehicle in front of you.......

That is exactly why I use that technique. It provides me with an escape route around a car that is blocking me.

Knock on wood....er, never mind. I don't want to jinx myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always checking mirrors as I ride, they come out of nowhere!. I always stop to the side of the car in front of me, as said before "escape route".
But, The Best Thing I've Done Is, Install the BRIGHTA$$TAILIGHT!!!!!!! If you have one, then you know what I'm talking about. If you don't, you should REALLY try it out!!!!
I love the reaction when that light comes on!!! They SEE YOU!!!!!
Ride Safe!!!
wilks3
:USA

How about all those nice lines they paint on the roads when they get wet........they are like a small patch of ice.

Good advice on the rear end. I already hit a patch of tar that (EDIT). Those babys can be months old and still nail you on a hot day. Did not bother me as much when I rode Glides with a 16" front tires, but my 21" W.G. is a different story. Yee Haa, ride em cowboy.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice, always use the mirrors and the more light in the rear the better, flashing is good either by pumping the brake or one of the controllers that do it for you. Call me paranoid but i always scan every intersection no matter what type for oncoming "zombies" and never trust any car in a driveway.

As far as the tar snakes and road paint, the only thing you can do is relax and try not to make any sudden corrections, once you realize they are there you should be OK.

I sometimes think that I watch my mirrors more than the road in front of me. lol

I try not to stop directly behind the tail lights of the vehicle in front of me. I figure why not add his brake lights to the mix. Sort of between the center line and the left tire track in the roadway. I also flash my brake lights , both when stopping and when stopped and traffic is coming up behind me.

I installed the 'Back Off' brake light modulator on the 3rd brake light of my car for the same reason.

Always checking the mirrors at a stop light, stop sign, stopped in traffic, stopping period. And do whatever I can to keep an escape route in case things get hairy. Be safe.

Back