free website stats program Getting back to a Real Harley sound!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting back to a Real Harley sound!!

ron1978

I finished installing new big city thunder baffles, now you can hear the rumble of my HD. i am running true dresser dual by V&h, with there stock baffles removed from mufflers, i installed a new set of BCT baffles into the exit of the head pipes, it took about 30 minutes to install,reinstalled all of it and fire it up, MAN it was awesome to hear my harley finally!!! i thought it sounded like a goldwing, or a Japanese bike before this upgrade, my fuel pak seems to have no difference in the change but i emailed v&h to get new map for it, If you want a HD rumble and killer sound at mid to high end, get a setup like this!!!
baffles were $90.00 shipped to the house and came with a T-shirt to wear to give others a chance to know who makes the sound!
i'll post a video in coming days of it

i went with the part # 2003 thunder monsters original

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you like the new sound. I've heard nothing but good things about BCT.

Good luck on getting a new map for the Fuel Pak. V&H has a pretty limited selection of maps for their Fuel Pak. Not only that it can't be tuned by anyone else either because they won't divulge what different numbers do. It is a tuner that is pretty much useless except for the few combo that they have a map for. If someone has one and later decides to do some upgrades about the only thing the Fuel Pak is good for is a paper weight. There are better tuners out there that will allow for any upgrades that you make, i.e. TTS, SEST, Direct Link,Power Commander, and the new Revolution Performance Precision EMS.

Hopefully you will still be able to get by for now with the Fuel Pak.

I've had no problem getting different maps for my Fuel Pak. All I had to do was email V & H with the exhaust set up I was looking at and they emailed back the fuel map to use. I once asked them what numbers I might use to improve gas mileage and they responded with a few changes I could try right away. In my experience, V&H has been great to deal with.

I have the V&H set up on my 05FLTRI and the BCT baffels on my 94FLSTC and both work as described. If all companies offered customer support like these two companies we probably wouldn't have much to talk about.

well i emailed V&H today, they responded in 2 hrs. first they told me to use FP-0068
map, then i emailed the and told them i had no clue about what that meant so they emailed me back with in the hour and gave me all the modes, and values of this map.
, loaded it and wow, cleaner than last map and sounds idles at 1100 rpm and rumbles deep ,unbelieable at 3500-4500- rpm
lol, they did recommend useing their baffles for maximum performance , and they really didn't have a map for the big city thunder baffles, but he said this would do , if i had any problems , please email him back asap, his name was Derek Hewitt

Great, I'm glad that they took care of you.

The reason that I posted what I did earlier was because when I was about to change my cams to to do away with the old style tensioners, which I went with the Andrews 21G. I was concerned about needing to change my map. I only have the stage 1 download. I called V&H about their Fuel Pak since Joe Minton of American Iron Magazine had recommended them, and I figured that since the Andrews 21 was his cam of choice, V&H would be able to help me out.

I called V&H Tech Support to see if they had a map for my combination, 03 FLSTFI, 88in, SE A/C, and SE 16 gauge Double Barrel exhaust (same as V&H Q-Series Double Barrel exhaust). They told me ,"Nope , we don't have a map for that". I asked about the same except for a 95in engine since someday I hope to do a big bore upgrade. I was given the same answer.

By the way the stage 1 download was fine for the Andrews 21 cams.

Needless to say right then I knew that the Fuel Pak was very limited on what it could do. I can say that as a whole V&H is a very upstanding company. TripleJ had a problem with one of his fish tip end caps coming off and V&H sent him a new one free of charge. They seem to be trying to take care of you now, but if you were to say maybe do a cam change they might not be able to help you.

The "Real" Harley sound went away with the end the carbed bikes IMHO. If you want the "lope" at idle, cam it up. As for fuel managers I think the PCV is the best. User friendly, you own it, lots of maps, simple to make self adjustments.

The "Real" Harley sound went away with the end the carbed bikes IMHO. If you want the "lope" at idle, cam it up. As for fuel managers I think the PCV is the best. User friendly, you own it, lots of maps, simple to make self adjustments.
Yup. Thanks to the EPA which brought us fuel injection, detuned engines/ignitions, milder cams, more restrictive mufflers and catalytic converters. In the near future we have only to look for water cooled engines and automatic transmissions. OK, the fuel injection I like, the rest not so much.

my dad has a 85 fxstc , so i know what a old school sounds like, this comes as close as possible without the carb as stated above, much deeper than his old shotgun pipes!
try this combination, you won't be dissappointed! , even my dad was sold on it, he said wow, what a difference.
yes mine were the 2" long baffle with the small washer inside. easy to mount, drill 1 hole in each head pipe at exit end, install baffles and put stainless 1/4 -20 bolt in, simple!

just for a quick note, i had a friend over to night to feel new 12 volt gloves by gerbing,
G3 ones, he also heard my pipes, he has a 2010 sg with the 2 into1 v&h high output muffler, he says he should have went my route, he'd saved lots of money and had better harley sound,, thanks for all replies,

I agree with V&H being limited in there maps, and they won't tell what the #'s do either.
they only make maps for their baffles, not others. if it is others, they give you a generic map they fits a variety of baffles. not specific. I would not have bought it , but it came on the bike already with stage 1 upgraded already. it'll scoot with out a doubt

Back