free website stats program Getting back on, 833 or 1200? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting back on, 833 or 1200?

I bought a new Custom 883 in 2008 against the advice of my Harley mechanic. He stated that it would beat me to death on long rides. A couple of months later with only 200 miles on it, I traded it for my 2008 FXDL. The Sporster believe it or not was harder to ride due to high center of gravity and gearing. It was a very costly mistake but, I love my Low Rider. :D

I completely agree that the Sporty is more difficult to ride. Fun, but more work! Best of luck in your decision.

sporties are a nice around town bike and good for one person the 883 thats what I HAVE and been on long trips on it but with my wife and Iit struggles abit the 1200 would be better for two person or dyna

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have rode from Florida to Oklahoma and back several times I have an 06 custom and it rides pretty good just remember do not use stock seats I paid the the money for a harley touring seat and was worth it

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an 07 1200L, and I am a very happy camper with it. Bought it used for about 7500, since I don't have a huge wallet. The low rider reduces the high CoG problem in other sportys, and the power is great. The giddyup power in 4th and 5th gear is especially quick, just yesterday I gunned it to get past some jerk who wouldn't let me into the merging lane, and I went from 60 to 90 mph in about 1.5 seconds.

My two-up experience is virtually nil though, so I can't speak to that issue. Plus I'm a skinny-er guy (maybe a buck fifty), so I never worry about bottoming out or weak suspension. If you're mostly planning on using it around town as you say, it's a fine choice.

Like others have said, try out several rentals before you shop.

Much respect to you as you deploy, one military fella to another. :hii Good luck, and come home safe.

I wouldn't say that the high CoG is a problem, but it makes the bike quite different to ride than other Harleys. The CoG affects handling - the ability to change course if you like. This means that it'll be a lot more nimble and a lot quicker in turns than a BT. Your riding will become more agressive on a sporty (at least for me it did). As it is also a lighter bike, the slow-speed handling is
manageable.

I owned an '88 883 solid mount that I converted into 1200: I could not use the mirrors much, my hands started buzzing/sleeping after some time - all in all not a very comfortable ride, but FUN!
The newer, post-'03 models are rubber-mounted with heavier frames. I would think that would make them more like a BT, but it sounds like they are still Sporty's.

For two-up riding it's not ideal, but some make it work just fine...

Back