free website stats program getting air at the dealer | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

getting air at the dealer

I bet you get that45* air chuck now so you can add air yourself.:s

Air Chuck

Yep...1st time I went to check air pressure, I noticed how short the stems were, the tight clearance around the cast wheels/disc rotors, AND the stem nuts were only hand tight...might want to add them both to the "Critical Fastener" List. :small3d038:

Smitty, I've had the bike since August. I only have 900 miles on it and just had the 1000 service done. I've always checked the air, but never realized what I would need to add some if needed.
Thanks for the info guys.

Never thought about asking the dealer to put some air in my tires. However, when I was having the dealer do all my periodic maintenance I noticed that when I checked my tire pressure after a service I would have 36psi front and rear. My wide glide takes 30 front and 36 to 40 rear (rear depends on single rider or w/pax). When I mentioned it to the dealer I was told this was probably just a difference in pressure gauges.

Like I said, never asked for air at the dealership, but if I did ,I would not expect them to get grease on my bike or to max out the load on a saddle bag so an big dude can get to the tire. I've spent a fair amount of money at my dealership and I sure as heck expect something besides poor service. Bottom line, we shouldn't put up with that kind of crap.:bigsmiley29:

Whenever I go to Kitchener Harley they wipe the bike down it doesn't matter if I go for warranty service or something I'm paying for .But if they didn't I wouldn't get upset about it. However it does make you feel a little better when they take that kind of care.

I service my own tires with a battery-operated pump I bought at Wal*Mart for short money. The pump has a plug that fits a car cigarette lighter's socket.

My bike's manual calls for 36psi front/36psi rear or 36psi front/40psi rear (2 up). When I checked the tire pressure for the first time the front had 42 psi and the rear 36psi. If you want things done neatly and correctly, then, in most cases, you are better off doing it yourself.

Not only if you wanna get thing right, do it yoursefl, in this case, you may need a better pressure gauge, the one that cost more than a few bucks and has better construction, not like the one that cost a buck or two. I have dozen of tire pressure gauges free from all different tire vendors that came in to our place, I threw most of them away and gave some to customers with a warning about the inaccurates reading of them, my gauge ($15) reads 35psi matchs with my scanner read out and the in car tire pressure sensor read out, my free ones reads 40-42psi.

I always check my air on all my vehicles, machines,,just didn't realize I would need the stubby for my bike. As far as the dealer,,,I knew I would be passing in front of it ,,so I stopped by thinking it would be a simple task for them...the rest you know. I'll buy the stubby air chuck tomorrow.

i know i need to get something for mine. I also have the spoked wheels and hubby was having an awful time checking it

The position of the tire valve coupled with the position of the rotor needs an air chuck that has a side angle on it like this one.

17-5565.jpg

Most gas stations have something like this one.

mp3231_big.jpg

Try getting air into the rear tire with that:D

BTW the upper brass chuck you can pick up at Big Lots for $1...howzat for a good deal...just keep the proper inflation pressure in your tires and you'll save even more! :33:

When I get a pound or two down I just use my small portable pump I use for the shocks, seems to work ok and the guage I think is more accurate.

Back