free website stats program Gets hung up/sticks while shifting | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gets hung up/sticks while shifting

HEY HDROCKS..... go out to your bike.... grab the clutch cable with right hand holding tension away from clutch handle..... Then squeeze the clutch in then release the clutch.....** NOTE**in right hand ? HOW MUCH DISTANCE (FREE TRAVEL) IS BETWEEN HANDLE AND END OF CABLE....you should have no more than 1/8 of an inch..... If free play is that OR MORE, clutch cable is not adjusted properly....(too loose) LOOSE will cause drag on the clutch making it hard to shift no matter HOW MANY MILES ON IT.

MY 06 1200R finds the need for all the cable adjustment i can use (TIGHT) 1/16" free play... SHIFTS SMOOTHER AND NO DRAG ON CLUTCH

signed....BUBBIE

thanks. i will give it a try!

Bubbie is right on...I also like very little "free play" in the clutch lever (1/16" or less cold)...once everything nice and hot, the "free play" goes a bit wider to 1/8 to 1/4" or so...also make sure you check the free play "lock to lock" as well as your throttle cables (n/a for those with FBW) to make sure no slow responding release or sloppy actuation due to poor routing or improper adjustment.

As Brian said earlier, it is important to adjust all controls to FIT the rider, pedals should be level and comfortable with no cramping in the shins or calves (you may have to remove the retaining bolt completely to move the actuater up or down a notch. The riders' hands should fall right over the controls naturally with low but level wrist (even with your eyes closed). You may have to loosen the bar retaining hardware to bend them naturally to the rider' reach. Properly adjusted you should be able to turn the bar "lock to lock" and no hit the tank or catch anything.

Back