free website stats program Gets hung up/sticks while shifting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gets hung up/sticks while shifting

On my 2004 XLC1200, it took about 1000 miles before the shifting became smoother and it was easier to find neutral.

At the time, many told me that was typical for a Sportster.

HTH

They all do that..???!!! :newsmile030:

NOT...mine downshifts and upshifts into neutral just fine. Only after I put in Spectrol 85W HD Chaincase Oil (not 100% Synthetic because Sporty has an oil wetted clutch not compatible with "friction modifiers" and do not overfill, about 30 oz. or so...not 39 oz (1 liter full container of Spectrol)... :57:

Last edited:
I have no problem finding neutral contrary to what the dealer told me too. But it seems to happen often from 3rd to 4th..happened to me several times last few days still. As NEWHD74FAN suggested, I plan to put in Spectrol when I go for the 1000 mile maintenance, along with Mobil I. I've got about 300 miles to go...

On my 2004 XLC1200, it took about 1000 miles before the shifting became smoother and it was easier to find neutral.

At the time, many told me that was typical for a Sportster.

HTH

If there was any confusion, I meant that it was typical for a Sportster only during the first 1000 miles. I did not intend to imply the difficulty continued after that.

No worries Mrglide...most everyone who posted have experienced the same...just that some do not realize if the bike is moving ever so slightly forward, there is little back tension on the gears, so getting in neutral from either 2nd or 1st is not a problem. Enjoy the ride...its' a Harley...LOL "--they all do it...":small3d007:

Changed to Spectro and hasn't happen so far. It's looking good... Shifting is still not as smooth as I'd like but shy of 1K miles. I think someone said it gets smoother.

Give it some time to work in and get some miles on it. The shifting gets better. Many times it may require a clutch adjustment once the plates wear in.

I agree with glider also with the clutch and primary adjusted properly it should shift better, good luck

I agree with glider also with the clutch and primary adjusted properly it should shift better, good luck

HEY HDROCKS..... go out to your bike.... grab the clutch cable with right hand holding tension away from clutch handle..... Then squeeze the clutch in then release the clutch.....** NOTE**in right hand ? HOW MUCH DISTANCE (FREE TRAVEL) IS BETWEEN HANDLE AND END OF CABLE....you should have no more than 1/8 of an inch..... If free play is that OR MORE, clutch cable is not adjusted properly....(too loose) LOOSE will cause drag on the clutch making it hard to shift no matter HOW MANY MILES ON IT.

MY 06 1200R finds the need for all the cable adjustment i can use (TIGHT) 1/16" free play... SHIFTS SMOOTHER AND NO DRAG ON CLUTCH

signed....BUBBIE

Back