free website stats program Gets hung up/sticks while shifting | Harley Davidson Forums

Gets hung up/sticks while shifting

hdrocks

My 1200C sportster now has about 500 miles. Occasionally, when shifting up, it will not shift the first time and will on the second try. I had the dealer look at it but obviously it did not happen during the test ride. I read that Spectro 6 Speed trans oil 75/140 is the recommend oil. I am wondering if I should have it changed now. I was going to wait till the first 1000 mile maintenance to have all three oils changed. thanks.

Serendipity, Please take note: Sportster only has two holes, 1) Engine oil stored in oil tank...HDT poll results prefer Mobil I V-Twin 100% Synthetic; 2) Clutch, Transmission, Chaincase...again HDT poll results prefer Spectrol 85W Primary Chaincase Gear Lube...and NOT 100% Synthetic because of the oil wetted clutch operation may experience early failure due to friction modifiers/additives.

thanks. as expected, learned something new and hope for more in the future. I am wondering if this is normal for new bikes. The dealer did mention something to the fact that it may be hard to put it into neutral initially but i have no problem there.

Serendipity, Your shifting technique coupled with the low mileage may be more of an issue than anything. If you have not had an HD before or in a long time, you will find the Sportster transmission requires a good solid movement of your foot to engage the gears. Mine has gotten steadily better (read smoother)over the miles ridden (now about 7500mi). As a matter of fact, the more I ride it, the better I like it. So, your "fix" may just be to ride, ride and ride!

Be safe.

Jake

Serendipity, Your shifting technique coupled with the low mileage may be more of an issue than anything. If you have not had an HD before or in a long time, you will find the Sportster transmission requires a good solid movement of your foot to engage the gears. Mine has gotten steadily better (read smoother)over the miles ridden (now about 7500mi). As a matter of fact, the more I ride it, the better I like it. So, your "fix" may just be to ride, ride and ride!

Be safe.

Jake

like your suggestion. trying to hit 1000 before the winter. Just got Atlas and Gazetteer, recommended by many here.. If i see it getting worse, i will have them check it out at my 1000 maintenance. thanks!

Serendipity; Is it possible that occasionally you are not letting the lever return to center after shifting, then trying to shift again? Sometimes when I am getting on it, I don't let the lever return, and miss a shift.

Make sure the gear change leaver is correctly positioned for your boots
if not undo and remove the pinch bolt and you can pull the gear change leaver off the shaft rotate it round i Set of splines and re fit

Brian

Serendipity; Is it possible that occasionally you are not letting the lever return to center after shifting, then trying to shift again? Sometimes when I am getting on it, I don't let the lever return, and miss a shift.

hmmm, not sure. Now you told me, next time it happpens, I will try to see if i did that. thanks.

Back