free website stats program Generator upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

Generator upgrade

dougjensen

I would like to change the 6 volt model 50 generator on my 45 flathead to a newer 12 volt. Does anyone know witch model may fit with the least amount of modification?

Going to twelve volt may require some wire and bulb replacing. I would go with a 12 volt generator with the electronic voltage regulator on the end. You can keep the stock mechanical voltage regulator on for looks.

A lot of helpful hints...the key here is to what extent are you upgrading. The reason for going to 12V was to allow more starting voltage reserve, (compensates for wiring losses, hence the need for ballast resistor to switch the ignition system back to 6V system...to save points and such. The rest of the changes were necessary because double the voltage shortened bulb life, so all the bulbs were changed. Then when electronic regulator, ignition, computer control etc. evolved, they necessitated more changes. So the real question is are you going "all the way" or are you sticking with the points ignition system and "partial 12V upgrade"...as it affects the "classic" fundamental operation of the bike. Keep us informed as to your progress.

Last edited:
Back