free website stats program Generation 3 TFI | Harley Davidson Forums

Generation 3 TFI

Wayne R

I am possibly looking at two TFI units one would be for a 2002 Road King, and possibly a second unit would be for a 2006 Ultra could you tell me the differences between the 4 pot TFI units and the generation 3, TFI 6 mode units I have been reading about. advantages or disadvantages
Thank You,
Wayne R

Wayne,

For your specific Harley model years the comparison is a toss-up and no advantage either way.

The biggest difference between our TFI (Gen2) and Gen3 controllers is the user interface. Tuning logic is exactly the same and so is the installation for the plug n play controllers. The Gen3 has a setup which is a little more load sensitive. Most Gen3 Harley controllers have a dedicated mode to adjust fuel on decel. The Gen3 controllers do already come preset for typical stage 1 modifications.

The TFI has four pot adjustments which are adjusted with a small flat screwdriver to different wall-clock similar settings. Adjusting the TFI is very sensitive. The slightest difference in pot adjust has a change on the output fuel delivery for that zone. A setting of 2:55 compared to 3:00 compared to 3:05 is adding a different amount of fuel. Some people like the sensitivity and some people don't. For us at times it can be harder to tech support an individual.

The Gen3 has a 3 push button interface which gains access to adjust 6 different modes. The Gen3 requires the unit to be powered up in order to make adjustments. Pressing the Mode button allows you to navigate through all 6 modes. The Plus and Minus buttons let you adjust the light settings. There are 15 different light settings for each mode. Easy for us to tech support and know exactly what you are running.

Now how about that for tech support. Great job guys and I want to thank you for all that you do for the Vets. Keep up the great work!

Thanks sharpscuba. We try to do our part to help out the men and women of our military to show our gratitude.

I believe everyone at some point has had to endure some horrible tech support for a product or service. Tech support has always been our highest priority and we are still trying to improve a number of areas. (i.e. web content) Simple fact for our company is if you ask a question then we'll get you an answer.

Back