free website stats program Gen3 install issues...help!? | Harley Davidson Forums

Gen3 install issues...help!?

bcortani

For 08 Softail Classic. Hi all, got my Gen3 from Dobecks today. Install was fairly straightforward. I was able ot plug the EJK harness plugs into the proper positions...I got the "clicks" when I put the plugs on the fuel injectors but I did not get "Clicks" when I put the harness male plug into the factory female pug, I put them as tight as I could but no click. I am now not able to start bike (turns over but no start) and the Gen3 flashes green (1 port) and red (8 port) three to five times then blinks off. this indicates a connection problem. I am hesitant to crunch any harder or modify the plug so as not to void warranty. Any suggestions? thanks. Bill.

OK, funny thing happened to me on the way to the diner...OK, I fixed it, not an electrical connection problem at all. I learned that if you want your bike to start you should probably re-connect your fFUEL LINE. Guess what?? I re-connected mine and she fired right up. Sounds great now gonna go ride for a test. Hugs and thanks to all...lol

You still need to make sure you registered all plug latches, or she will work loose and strand you. Maybe not a click, but, you might be able to gently pull the latches to the latched postion.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I used my needle nosed pliers and clinched them as far as i could, no click but it looks like the latches are locked, they will still pull out by hand if tugged firmly but seem secure for now. I might work some tape around them later to be safe. Let me tell you, I am so glad it was my error on fuel line. I re-hooked everything up back to normal in the process of trouble shooting and it wouldn't start then either...I got a little panicky...wife was watching out the window rubbing her fingers together...whew!!Took her for a test ride...she is more responsive (the bike) and it may be my imagination, but it seems that my shifting is diff now as far as before 6th was right at about 60 and you could tell by sound...now she runs right up to 65-70 in 5th and doesn't even sound like she is revving as high. I will play it by ear for now as I am not a speed demon, but it is always nice to know what the ride is capable of. No more sluggish passes, thats for sure...:s

I used my needle nosed pliers and clinched them as far as i could, no click but it looks like the latches are locked, they will still pull out by hand if tugged firmly but seem secure for now...
Sorry. I must emphasize that if they did not latch properly (i.e., they will pull out if tugged firmly), they WILL vibrate loose. Tape is little, if any, help. Contact Dobeck tech support. Some connectors need to be filed a bit for proper fit. If properly latched, they will NOT come apart unless the latches are released. The vibration in the area is tremendous.

Enjoy,
Rich P

bcortani; definitely heed RibEye's advice w/the GEN3 connectors...I'd call Dobeck for assistance to ensure you've got the correct part + nothing's defective. They had some model(s) where you needed to shave off some of the connector(s) to fit. Must get them to "click" & tape isn't the recommended method for holding these together. The tuner might be working well now, but if those connectors start spreading you'll run into a huge set of problems down the road.

You will have to file the connectors down ,I know by experience , not a easy task . I too was ready to send them back but after an hour or two got them filed down enough so they would snap together . I was told by dobeck they thought they found all the ones that were too long but obviously this isn't the case . Good luck and take your time no a lot of space to work in without taking it all off to do the filing .

I just installed a Gen 3 and I had to file down the connectors that go into the factory harness. Took 30 seconds with a fairly smooth metal file and then got the click. Very easy to do. I put di-electric grease in all the connectors to help keep moisture out.

So, just so I do this correctly, file the EJK male plug (the offending ones) just above the tip cloaking part above the prongs...err the top of the part that slides into the female end correct?

Back