free website stats program Gen 4 Information | Harley Davidson Forums

Gen 4 Information

glider.

BOT Machine
AFRplus.jpg

OVERVIEW:
The AFR Plus or GEN 4 by Dobeck Performance brings together two technologies within one system to make it the most powerful, user-friendly tuning device on the market. AFR Plus combines an EFI controller with a wideband O2 sensor and AFR gauge to provide a user instant fuel trimming ability and feedback about their vehicle’s tuning operation.

GEN 4 is the short term used to describe the Generation 4 Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) controller and Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) Gauge Kit manufactured by Dobeck Performance. The GEN 4 was released in August of 2011. The GEN 4 is a piggy-back EFI controller because it does not replace the stock ECU, but rather monitors the signals to the injectors and makes fuel adjustments based on the mode settings. The GEN 4 has a push button interface on the gauge allowing access up to 6 different modes to allow for quick fine tuning by the end user without needing a computer.

KEY FEATURES:
  • AFR PLUS / GEN 4 FEATURES
  • FULLY COMPPATIBLE WITH ALL AFTERMARKET EFI CONTROLLERS INCLUDING REPLACEMENT ECUs.
  • HAS CAPABILITY OF BEING YOUR ONLY FUEL MAPPING SOLUTION AS WELL
  • IDEAL FOR MAXIMIZING FUEL ECONOMY FOR TRIKES, SIDECARS, PULLING TRAILERS, OR FIGHTING A HEAD WIND
  • AFR GAUGE FEATURES
  • AFR GAUGE READING FROM 10 TO 16 TO PROVIDE INSTANT AFR FEEDBACK READINGS
  • STANDARD 2-1/16" ROUND GAUGE
  • WATER RESISTANT
  • PUSH BUTTON INTERFACE TO ALLOW QUICK FINE TUNING AT YOUR FINGERTIPS
  • EASY TO SEE LED LIGHTS TO INDICATE OPERATING ZONE ON THE GAUGE
  • USES BOSCH WIDEBAND O2 SENSOR WITH BOSCH CHIP POWERED WIDEBAND CONTROLLER
  • SELF-ADJUSTING BACK LIGHTING DISPLAY FOR NIGHT VIEWING
  • EFI CONTROLLER FEATURES
  • USES LOAD BASED TECHNOLOGY WHICH ALLOWS FOR TUNING IN EVERY GEAR
  • 3 MAIN ZONES OF OPERATION TO TARGET DESIRED AFR
  • ABILITY TO ADD OR PULL FUEL WITHOUT ALTERING THE STOCK FUEL MAP
  • CLOSED LOOP OPERATION OFF OF WIDEBAND O2 SENSOR INPUT
  • PLUG N PLAY INSTALLATION - NO WIRE SPLICING
  • NARROWBAND GENERATION FOR STOCK O2 SIGNAL
  • COMPUTER REPROGRAMMABEL BY IRDA TECHNOLOGY IF NEEDED
The AFR PLUS pays for itself! SAVING YOU $$$
The information our gauge displays is all you need to get the most out of your existing fuel controller or mapping software. With a retail cost of $300 it has saved some of our customers that much money in ONLY 3500 miles.

GENERAL TERMINOLOGY EXPLANATIONS:
Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) - The most common reference term used for mixtures in internal combustion engines. It is the ratio between the mass of air and the mass of fuel in the fuel-air mix at any given moment.

Oxygen (O2) sensor - Is an electronic device that measures the proportion of oxygen (O2) in the exhaust gas.

Wideband vs Narrowband sensors - A narrowband O2 sensor is only calibrated to know whether the current AFR is rich, lean, or stoic. A wideband O2 sensor is much more sophisticated and can supply the exact AFR measurement across a wide range of possible AFR values.

Load - Is the measurement of how hard an engine is working. Coasting downhill is considered very low load. Driving uphill is considered high load.

Open loop vs Closed loop - Different operations both the stock ECU and the GEN 4 can function under independently. Open loop means NO fuel trimming is occurring based on the O2 sensor signal. Closed loop is using the O2 sensor input signal to react rapidly to the changing conditions and make fuel trims to match the desired air/fuel mixture.

GENERAL LAYOUT EXPLANATIONS:
GEN4_Kit_final.jpg

AFR GAUGE - Installed on the vehicle to allow easy viewing by user during operation. Displays current AFR value based on the O2 sensor input.

WIDEBAND CONTROLLER - Contains harness connections to external parts and hardware to interpret input signals and generate output signals.

WIDEBAND BOSCH O2 SENSOR - Installed in the exhaust pipe in order to make AFR readings. Replaces factory narrowband sensor in some apps.

WidebandController_final.jpg

1). Stock O2 Connector(s) - Plugs into the stock O2 connection going back to the ECU. Connector varies based on application and may NOT be present.
2). AFR Gauge Connector - Single long gray wire which plugs into the AFR Gauge for easy installation.
3). Bosch O2 Connector - Plugs into the installed wideband Bosch O2 Sensor in the exhaust pipe.
4). Stock Fuel Injector Connector(s) - Plugs into the factory injector connector and onto the injector to create loop around to adjust the fueling. Connector varies based on application. One male & female pair for each cylinder.
5). Ground Wire - Attach to proper grounding location.

Background label - Contains AFR values ranging from 10:1 to 16:1. These are used to determine your current operating AFR and also your mode settings. May be a black or white label.

Needle - Used to determine your current operating AFR and also your mode settings by moving throughout the range of the gauge. May be an orange or white needle.

Minus ( - ), Mode, Plus ( + ) Buttons - Buttons are used to make on-the-fly adjustments to the different modes enabled on the unit.

4 LEDs (Green, Yellow, Red, Blue) - Used to determine active zone during vehicle operation. Also used to determine current adjustment mode when making tuning adjustments.
GEN4_gauge_black.jpg

MOUNTING OPTIONS:
HandleBarMounted.jpg

DashMounted.jpg

Handle Bar Mounted Dash Mounted
HandleBarMount_FinalAssembly.jpg
GaugeMount_FinalAssembly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"The AFR PLUS pays for itself! SAVING YOU $$$ The information our gauge displays is all you need to get the most out of your existing fuel controller or mapping software. With a retail cost of $300 it has saved some of our customers that much money in ONLY 3500 miles."
----------------------------

Exactly how does the AFR Plus save money? Can you say the same for the Gen 3.5, the Gen 3, or the TFI?

I'm not sure that I want another gauge on my Dyna. I want cooler running, better performance and better mileage. I think an EFI controller from Dobeck is the answer, but I'm not sure which one is best for me...

:dknow

The AFR PLUS makes it easier to save money because of the information it is providing to make sure you are running as efficient as possible. While riding down the road you'll know exactly if you are a little rich or a little lean. Nothing else on the market provides this information along with the ease of making an adjustment. All our other controllers are great for making the fuel adjustments, but we require the rider to go by feel of how the bike is responding. Does it run hot? Does it feel bogged down? We are still confident a lot of users can fine tune their bikes this way and will recommend the TFI or GEN 3. To keep up with the market though of companies offering auto-tune and closed loop systems to the people without confidence is where we came up with GEN 4. We want to empower the end users to gain more knowledge of how their bike is running by putting the information right in front of them. An AFR gauge is the best way to do this.

This is using the latest Gen 4 supplied by Dobecks for my BETA of their Fine product.:D

The Dobeck Gen 4 is perfected right now.... Check out that unit.

You can adjust the fuel in 3 modes and get power when cracking the throttle,while not running Lean...

Cruising, you can set the yellow AFR leaning it out to get GREAT fuel mileage...

I got 50 miles per gallon on a long two day travel, mostly doing 65/68 mile pr-hour on two lane roads from lower Az. into N M, over the last two days of running, I could NOT believe the Mileage...

My 09 FLHR King, stage one plus SE255 cams, running cool and setting the AFR on the cruise from 14 (getting 45-46 mpg) to 15 on this cruise, giving me the 50 mile per gallon. At NO TIME did I lack Power NOR run too lean or Hot.

Cracking the throttle at any time,,,, It is set to run at 12.5 AFR and does it MOVE...:newsmile011:

Man,,, AM I HAPPY with this unit.

I have been doing BETA for the Dobeck Co. on the Gen 4 unit. Many Changes have made it work Properly on my bike....(and Now Yours)

They Have FINALLY Hit a Home Run with this Gen 4 In My Book.

Check it out and IF you order, Don't forget the HDT discount...

Phone orders only will recieve the Discount.

877-764-3337
406-388-2377

Tell them BUBBIE sent you...Cause he was HAPPY and Pleased.....

signed....BUBBIE

Anybody using this on ultra's, if so how is it doing. I have a Gen 3 right now but looking at one of these. I would like to know if this is gonna get me better mpg. Any input would help, thanks.

Anybody using this on ultra's, if so how is it doing. I have a Gen 3 right now but looking at one of these. I would like to know if this is gonna get me better mpg. Any input would help, thanks.

I have had one on my EGC since they came out with them.I had a TFI before that.They had a couple problems at first with the gen4,but now it is a great unit and I find it to be great at all elevations because of the on the fly fingertip controllability.

Back