free website stats program Gen 3.5 Drop In Cruising Gas Mileage | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gen 3.5 Drop In Cruising Gas Mileage

I don't know what you would call the plug - it was the one included with the TFI. Perhaps DHR describes it in his post better than I could.

I'm starting to wonder if one of my winter projects should be to totally uninstall everything I did with this kit and send it back to Dobeck for evaluation. Changing the settings on this thing all the way up to the max of 8 doesn't seem to make much difference. Could be a bad controller like DHR says.

Hey Dr. --- I will wait to see if you get this figured out before I do my install. My instruction sheet has EJK // Gen 3 but on the unit itself it has Gen 3.5. I believe you & I got ours around the same time frame??

Doc

Where did you run the ground wire to and is it grounded properly which would make the unit inop. if it wasn't grounded.

Oh sure - now that I admitted I totally messed up the horn situation all by myself, you don't think I know how to ground a TFI? :lolrolling

The ground wire is connected directly to battery's negative terminal. I will double check this but all the lights respond properly when you start the bike.

Hey Dr. --- I will wait to see if you get this figured out before I do my install. My instruction sheet has EJK // Gen 3 but on the unit itself it has Gen 3.5. I believe you & I got ours around the same time frame??

If you wait on me you might never get yours done. Call Chris at Dobeck customer support and he will explain how to verify GEN 3 or GEN 3.5 by the wire grouping and not what's printed on your controller.

I don't know what you would call the plug -

Should be "PLUGS" as in plural. One for each O2 sensor.

TFI? Where does a TFI controller come in. Doesn't the Gen3.5 take the place of a basic TFI?

Your suppose to use parts from a TFI in conjunction with a Gen 3.5.?

Should be "PLUGS" as in plural. One for each O2 sensor.

TFI? Where does a TFI controller come in. Doesn't the Gen3.5 take the place of a basic TFI?

Your suppose to use parts from a TFI in conjunction with a Gen 3.5.?

Stop confusing me!!! :p

Yes, one plug on each O2 sensor.

The GEN 3 and GEN 3.5 controllers are still referred to as TFI's in many locations I've been reading.

Yes, one plug on each O2 sensor.

I am not there to see it. You should now have two O2 sensors NOT PLUGGED into anything. Is that true. The "DEADHEAD" plugs that were provided in the kit, plug into the WIRING HARNESS of the bike NOT the o2 sensors themselves.

Is this what you have.

I am not there to see it. You should now have two O2 sensors NOT PLUGGED into anything. Is that true. The "DEADHEAD" plugs that were provided in the kit, plug into the WIRING HARNESS of the bike NOT the o2 sensors themselves.

Is this what you have.

100% correct - the O2 sensors are still in but not connected to any wiring. The wire that was removed from the sensor is what is now bypassed with the kit supplied plug.

1) Assuming the the unit is a Gen3.5
2) Assuming that the Ground wire Glider talked about is Hooked Up & OK.
3) Assuming that the unit is not toast and is in good working condition.

Then,,,
I would say mode number 5 which is now set at a value of 4 needs to be much higher.

Sounds like the "switch over point" from cruise to acceleration is much too early. That is why your fuel consumption is low. The Gen 3.5 thinks your always accelerating.

1) Assuming the the unit is a Gen3.5
2) Assuming that the Ground wire Glider talked about is Hooked Up & OK.
3) Assuming that the unit is not toast and is in good working condition.

Then,,,
I would say mode number 5 which is now set at a value of 4 needs to be much higher.

Sounds like the "switch over point" from cruise to acceleration is much too early. That is why your fuel consumption is low. The Gen 3.5 thinks your always accelerating.

Now you may be on to something! If my steady speed cruise was anywhere near the switchover point, it may have been going into the accel mode too much and slurping down gas.

In the absence of any responses from Dobeck, at least you have all given me some good food for thought and some things I can try.

Back