free website stats program Gen 2 TFI for older bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Gen 2 TFI for older bike

horizonchaser

Contributor
I just got off the phone with Matt at Doebeck asking him basically what is the difference between the Gen 3 & Gen 4 TFI's. I assumed that the Gen 4 was an improvement over the Gen 3. What he told me was that for my older '03 Ultra I should use the Gen 2. That surprised me because up until then I had never heard of a Gen 2.
Does anyone have a Gen 2 on their older bikes? Any issues? I know there are great endorsement for the Doebecks on our forum I just need to hear from someone who can assure me that they have the same Gen 3 on their bike and they love it before I pull the trigger and purchase one.
Thanks

I just got off the phone with Matt at Doebeck asking him basically what is the difference between the Gen 3 & Gen 4 TFI's. I assumed that the Gen 4 was an improvement over the Gen 3. What he told me was that for my older '03 Ultra I should use the Gen 2. That surprised me because up until then I had never heard of a Gen 2.
Does anyone have a Gen 2 on their older bikes? Any issues? I know there are great endorsement for the Doebecks on our forum I just need to hear from someone who can assure me that they have the same Gen 3 on their bike and they love it before I pull the trigger and purchase one.
Thanks

I think they are referring to the BASIC "TFI"... It is different than the gen 3 as you tune it with a screw-driver.. The same BASIC TFI I use on my 09, Still available in different part numbers for different year bikes....

I have it on my bike Now and never have had any problems..... They call TFI is just that ,,, a TFI unit and the Gen 3 is just that a 3rd generation Improved model of the TFI.. no screwdriver needed to adjust and Yes it does have some improvements from the basic TFI.. I still like the screwdriver type (TFI) over the electronic buttons to adjust..

Just my take on things.:D

signed....BUBBIE

I have a basic unit on my 97 Ultra and it is amazing how well it performs. Took my time dialing it in but it was well worth the money and time to get this bike up to its potential.

I think they are referring to the BASIC "TFI"... It is different than the gen 3 as you tune it with a screw-driver.. The same BASIC TFI I use on my 09, Still available in different part numbers for different year bikes....

I have it on my bike Now and never have had any problems..... They call TFI is just that ,,, a TFI unit and the Gen 3 is just that a 3rd generation Improved model of the TFI.. no screwdriver needed to adjust and Yes it does have some improvements from the basic TFI.. I still like the screwdriver type (TFI) over the electronic buttons to adjust..

Just my take on things.:D

signed....BUBBIE
This model was the FI-1040ST. Matt at Doebeck said that he has done many '03 Ultras with it and there weren't any problems. I asked him if I'd have to be tinkering with it all the time, like say I go to higher altitudes and he said once it is adjusted properly, even at higher altitudes it should be o.k.
How agout yourself Bubbie? Do you tweak yours from time to time with a screwdriver or is it pretty much at the same settings now that you have it where you want it?

================================================

I have a basic unit on my 97 Ultra and it is amazing how well it performs. Took my time dialing it in but it was well worth the money and time to get this bike up to its potential.
Really glad to hear that. I think you've convinced me to go ahead and order one. Thanks.

================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
This model was the FI-1040ST. Matt at Doebeck said that he has done many '03 Ultras with it and there weren't any problems.
How agout yourself Bubbie? Do you tweak yours from time to time with a screwdriver or is it pretty much at the same settings now that you have it where you want it?

I have found that ONCE set properly to my liking, I forget about it.. Work just GREAT and I don't need to fool with it at all.. In Wa. and UP in Az. no change needed.. GOOD product..

IF you make a modification like a cam or piston change THEN you need to use a little correction,,,, even then Very Little change and Mine was only on the front Green pot. Down Just a Wee Bit (for fin):D

signed....BUBBIE

Your "older" bike is an 03? Mine is a 99 and they suggested GEN-3 just to get away from the screwdriver adjustments. I have the Magnetti Morelli injection system, perhaps that is why?

I have the screwdriver model (I always called them POTS versions). I like it, I actually prefer it to pushing buttons, but then I'm just an old guy.

I did not know it's a Gen 2 ? What was the Gen 1 ? (a phillipshead :lolrolling) Actually I'm guessing that was when you had to pressure clip the actual wires on the install as opposed to just pluggin in the bypass units now.

Anyhow I set mine as recommended by Doebeck and have never had to fool with it since. Bike runs noticably cooler, smoother and a bit more power through the entire rpm range.

I have the screwdriver model (I always called them POTS versions). I like it, I actually prefer it to pushing buttons, but then I'm just an old guy.

I did not know it's a Gen 2 ? What was the Gen 1 ? (a phillipshead :lolrolling) Actually I'm guessing that was when you had to pressure clip the actual wires on the install as opposed to just pluggin in the bypass units now.

Anyhow I set mine as recommended by Doebeck and have never had to fool with it since. Bike runs noticably cooler, smoother and a bit more power through the entire rpm range.
That is the endorsement that I have been hoping to hear. Without a doubt I am going to get one. I'll get back to everyone and report the performance when I have it installed.
I laughed when I read your Gen 1 comment about it being a phillips head. :p Like your sense of humor. :s

Last edited:
Back