free website stats program "Gee Whiz" Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

"Gee Whiz" Question

Every HD that I have timed, is timed to the front cylinder. Yes, some cranks also have rear cyl. TDC marks.
BUT, getting back to your original question, as posted: "why is the front cam located towards the rear, and the rear cam located towards the front". Where can I find an example that supports this? All diagrams & manuals I can find refer to front as front, and rear as rear.
This is the first time I remember disagreeing with my "brother from another mother" (Bubbie).

OK, Story was, while talking about my Cam change I am doing with one of my co-workers, I got into a debate with him about Cam positions. He swears up and down that the REAR Cyl is #1, and the FRONT Cyl is #2. This in turn, would make the REAR cam the FRONT, and the FRONT cam the REAR, since a "#1" position on any engine is always on the left (standing in back) or Always the first Cyl in the front (like a straight six, #1 is closest to radiator, #6 is closest to firewall)..

SO... Wanting to put this 'debate' to rest (this guy will argue a point into oblivion), I pulled out the trusty Iphone Gold-box and GOOGLED this question.. Boy, was that a can-o-worms. Seems I am not the only one with this question, and I never really found a definitive answer, hence this post for a hopeful answer to a basically useless knowledge question.

I Have Noticed:

When firing, the rear cylinder is number one.

LOOKING at the cams on the TC motors from the right side view looking IN.... The wording used by HD is Rear Cam for the number one cylinder cam and the forward cylinder (front cylinder) is mentioned as Front Cam...

I used to look at my 00 early TC that had the problem of the Ball vs Roller style bearing.

HD's wording WAS the REAR Cam that drives the Front cam was too much for the Ball bearing in the REAR cam, It needed a Roller Bearing installed...

YES the Rear cylinder is number ONE....

But the Cam references are Backwards OR is it the Firing order???...

It is confusing at times:newsmile07: Isn't it...???

Now that IS a true Oxymoron...

signed....BUBBIE

It is confusing at times:newsmile07: Isn't it...???

Now you can understand where I got the "Is this some new "Fuzzy Math" type of directionality here?" statement from!!

Your description was exactly what I was trying to get across!

I never would have thought that such a simple question would cause so many people to pull their hair out, lol. At the same time, I'm greatful you guys post this stuff, it helps me learn more lol. On that note, have any of you guys attended the HD Tech course? How long is it and whats the cost? lol If there is a thread already on the forum about it just share me the link please. I want to use my GI Bill for it lol.

I never would have thought that such a simple question would cause so many people to pull their hair out, lol. At the same time, I'm greatful you guys post this stuff, it helps me learn more lol. On that note, have any of you guys attended the HD Tech course? How long is it and whats the cost? lol If there is a thread already on the forum about it just share me the link please. I want to use my GI Bill for it lol.

Motorcycle Mechanics Institute (MMI) in Phoenix, Arizona | UTI Locations | UTI.edu
Have a look here, I have a good friend that used this program and G I money:D

New Harley school since 2004 in Fort Scott, Kansas I was part of first class through. Fort Scott Community college Harley Davidson technical and Professional Development. the school deals in only Harley Davidsons, the twin cam eras and of course v-rods and sportsters also they also did buells early in the beginning but I do not believe they teach anything about them now. two year assoc. degree do not know if they have the bach degree course anymore as when I went through.

Thanks Bubbie and Jack. I know there is an MMI in Orlando as well, But I don't know if they have Harley Davidson in the curriculum. Bubbie I should probably start using bing. I keep forgetting about it, I'm so used to google... but google is a mess these days....

Back