free website stats program Gears Meshing? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gears Meshing?

how does the oil circulate when engine is off ?.................bw

Hope this isn't sarcasm? Trying to contribute to my knowledge as hopefully we all are and have been.

If it had to do with oil circulation, wouldn't the sound be audible before I ride and not progressively getting worse over time. If it is normal tranny wear, so be it. If I'm going to grenade (Gliderism) on the road, than we'll all know for the future.

You also may want to drain the oil and check the magnetic plug for particles of interest.

I would drain the oil into a Clean glass container and let it settle out for a couple of days.
It is Amazing what effect gravity has on fluids. You will get a good idea how serious the problem (if one does exist) really is.

My marble sound has gotten worse and it is now whining loud in 1-4 gears. Had enough and ordered a Baker DD7 and will be here Tuesday June 1. Will keep the family in the loop.

Picked up the bike today with the DD7 installed and as far as I can tell, it's the bomb.

The marble sound I was experiancing was the main shaft bearing again. Dealer replaced it at 31,000 and as far as my Indie co. can tell, the race or spacer (didn't want to take to much of there time explaining) that the clutch hub rides on was pressed on to far. It was rubbing on a section of the main shaft and wore little shaving of the inner clutch hub off. Showed me the Main shaft bearing where 1 row seemed OK but the other row definately had pitting for the shavings. They said the tranny oil had shavings throughout.

So, they put in the DD7 and all that comes with it along with a new clutch hub and should be good to go from here on out.

Since I have 43,000 miles on the bike, they also did the primary and secondary cam chain tensioners and chains.

Very cool Craig...I know your looking forward to a lot more quieter rides with MZ...:guitar

Picked up the bike today with the DD7 installed and as far as I can tell, it's the bomb.

Craig, What brand of lube were you using in your previous gear box and what will you be using in the Baker. Does Baker have their own special blend of gear oil they want you to use?

Craig, What brand of lube were you using in your previous gear box and what will you be using in the Baker. Does Baker have their own special blend of gear oil they want you to use?

I use Motul 300 75/90. Scott at Baker said that it would just fine. He said a full synthetic is what they recommend. I have 43,500 miles on the bike now. At 45,000 will change the engine oil with the usual Motul 7100 20/50 but might try the Spectro Platinum for 6 speeds 75/140 and compare the two brands. (also a local Cycle Gear has Redline shockproof on the shelf) Bob's Cycle will sell 1 quart of the Spectro instead of a whole case. I'll see how the Motul does.

Craig, Tks, Also you did not loose your green neutral light when you went to the baker, did you.

Back