free website stats program Gears Meshing? | Harley Davidson Forums

Gears Meshing?

craig Lee

'08 Street Glide with 43,000+ miles. Had main shaft bearing replaced at 31,000 miles. Bike runs and feels great. About the last 5000 miles or so after riding with engine off and in nuetral when moving it around there is a marble type sound from the tranny. Sound isn't there when cold. When I put in any gear and pull in clutch than move bike sound is gone. Have always run Motul 300 (75/90) in tranny. Has been explained as things warm up the marble type sound is the gears meshing and putting it in gear with the clutch in puts a load on the set. Again, the engine is off and coasting down the alley it sounds fine. Just when I come to a complete stop and than move the bike into the garage (After Mz Bling"s of course) :) do we hear the sound. Thought I'd check with the Guru's.

Humm, that is strange because it makes more sense it would be the other way around if there was a bad bearing..

Clutch engaged (lever released) & in neutral would be quiet. And in gear, clutch disengaged would be marble sound.

Bike is cold right now and drivetrain is dead silent when rolling (engine off) IN or OUT of gear. No bearing or marble sound at all.
But will post this afternoon after a Good hot ride and see if any additional noise appears. This will be a good comparison test. (2009 6-speed)

Humm, that is strange because it makes more sense it would be the other way around if there was a bad bearing..

Clutch engaged (lever released) & in neutral would be quiet. And in gear, clutch disengaged would be marble sound.

Bike is cold right now and drivetrain is dead silent when rolling (engine off) IN or OUT of gear. No bearing or marble sound at all.
But will post this afternoon after a Good hot ride and see if any additional noise appears. This will be a good comparison test. (2009 6-speed)

Thanks bro,
I've searched and searched on the forum for this topic. Hopefully will be helpful in the future for high mileage bikes. Enjoy the day riding.

Well the bike was Good and Hot. Pulled it into the garage closed the door. Silence surrounds me. Moved bike forward & back,,, IN or OUT of any gear, clutch in or out, and not a sound. Dead silent just as quiet as when bike was cold and no trace of any marble or "bad Bearing" sound from drive train or tranny.

Wish I had better news for you. Could it be something that is different from 2008 to 2009? I'm bone stock using Formula + and a touch of secret ingredient.

43K miles in 2 years,, Man you ride!

Well the bike was Good and Hot. Pulled it into the garage closed the door. Silence surrounds me. Moved bike forward & back,,, IN or OUT of any gear, clutch in or out, and not a sound. Dead silent just as quiet as when bike was cold and no trace of any marble or "bad Bearing" sound from drive train or tranny.

Wish I had better news for you. Could it be something that is different from 2008 to 2009? I'm bone stock using Formula + and a touch of secret ingredient.

"Secret ingredient"? And your not going to share? Sure hope Glider doesn't read this!!:newsmile030:

Trying to catch up to Mz Bling (44,000+) on her '06 Sporty.
Thanks for the prompt info. For now, I'm hoping it is just wear on the tranny and gears meshing when warm. Everything seems tight and rides great. Just want to put it out there and see what develops.

"Secret ingredient"? And your not going to share? Sure hope Glider doesn't read this!!:newsmile030:

I heard that!!! :small3d007: Maybe it's the secret ingredient causing the noise:D

Have to try spectro platinum and see if the noise goes away.

Maybe it was your belt. Any Harley that can fix itself is a keeper.

Thanks but definitely not the belt. We know belt squeeks, deflection, etc. all to well with both bikes. When on the lift and spin the bike tire, definitely coming from the gear section of the tranny.

Back