free website stats program gear whine in 95 flstn | Harley Davidson Forums

gear whine in 95 flstn

billst

my evo started to whine after a fairly long run.i had it to a mechanic and he was sure it was cam whine but said it should have done it from the first when the cam was changed. it ran without this sound since 2003 when the cam was changed. an andrews ev13 cam was put in at that time by the previous owner but i suspect no new cam bearing according to the reciept. just wanted some opinions on what my next step should be. i've seen lots of good advice on this site. thanks

I don't know if it is "just" me, but the cam should not whine...it is in constant contact with parts, and bearing are pretty robust...maybe gears meshing or chain noise and such are more likely. Noise sources on an HD are hard to isolate, many use the handle of a screwdriver while listening to vibration and coincidental resonance to particular area or mechanics stethescope. I would probably opt for noise being more tranny or primary chain noise, and would drain and pull the primary cover (level the bike) to check the quality and level of the lube...and inspect the tensioner shoes for wear (if you see teltale orange bits in there, you better flush things out real good and replace them.

thanks for the reply. i did check for the sound location with a stethoscope and the noise is definitely coming from the cam area. i have heard of these bearings going out on twin cams but wasn't sure about the 80 evos. i have heard lots about the after market cams causing whine because of the oversize gear. in any case the original gear on mine was pressed onto the new cam and worked well for years before the whine started. that's why i was wondering bearing

Check the end play on the cam and check the breather for scoring in the cam chest, common problem, plastic breathers beat the cam chest up, S S makes a better breather JMO, and clean or replace the tappet screen

cam bearing. pulled the cone and parts of bearing everywhere plus cam shaft erosion. total rebuild right to the cases. aarrrggg. it is the original bearing. i can't believe a reputable dealer did that work and didn't change the bearing. they are known to be bad from about 92 to 98 i believe

Back