free website stats program Gear Reduction Question for FL | Harley Davidson Forums

Gear Reduction Question for FL

I have a 2009 Street Glide. Wanted to change the stock overall gear ratio which is my understanding @ 2.89. My understanding to do this is I have two options:

Change the primary trans gear sprocket down from 32 to 30T

Or

Change the front belt drive pullet from 32 to 30T

My questions are:

1. What are the pros or cons of each option?

2. Would I get the same result doing either option?

I believe my rear wheel pulley is 70T

:panic

I'm wanting to lower my gearing also and will do it in the primary. Doesn't affect your speedo in the primary but your cruise and 6th gear light might not work. With some tuners both can be made to work again.

With some tuners both can be made to work again.

Are you sure about that? I may be wrong but I don't think any tuner can make the 6th speed light work again because it's a function of embedded firmware inside the ECM and I have never seen any consumer level product allow you to do that.

Are you sure about that? I may be wrong but I don't think any tuner can make the 6th speed light work again because it's a function of embedded firmware inside the ECM and I have never seen any consumer level product allow you to do that.

When WE (geezer and I) worked on this Idea of Changing the Clutch Gear to a larger one, Many of the **Gear Heads on the other site, Thought that the problem would be Just that, cruise and the 6 gear light. The Cruise wouldn't work correctly nor the 6 gear Light would come on..

Geezer Doesn't have Cruise on either of His 2 09 softtails so the only Issue on His would be the light... **Others, thought his TTS or what ever he already has would Also send the proper siginal or be set up to send the proper signal so the Light would respond as Normal... Maybe Geezer will respond here also....

Heck of a GOOD Idea that Geezer has and is Working on the Change-out Right Now and IS replacing with a Larger clutch basket gear to Make His ratio so he Can use 6th gear for Pleasure,,,, Not breaking the Speed Law to do so..

The 340RPM + or so Increase in Engine speed THRU-Out the gearing won't affect the Many other problems you get Like other ways of changing gearing ratios ::: From tranny = $$Belt $$sproket change and/or Rear wheel $$sprocket change then RE calb. Spedo with $$conversion box..
(his can be changed back by removing the primary cover, clutch and put on his Old stock chain and gear back on)

Geezer mentioned to me IF the only Nonworking is the 6 speed Light No Problem thingking he could Live with that.. HE/WE are ANXIOUS to hear a report when he gets it together and Tested out On the FROZEN road..

Just My thoughts here.. Hope Geezer didn't mind.

signed....BUBBIE

The Andrews products cataloge lists different belt pullys and the ratio they will give you. They also list a speedo calibration module that will correct the speedo for the different pullys.

They also list a speedo calibration module that will correct the speedo for the different pullys.

That is not going to help you with the 6th speed light. The ECM needs to see a specific engine RPM for a given road speed. Only when they match will the light come on.
Once you change the primary ratio, that "matching ratio" will no longer be achieved.

As far as the cruise control working or not working, I have no idea because I don't have cruise control on my bike and I don't know how they work.

I want to lower the gearing so when in 6th at 70MPH I would tach 3,000 RPM. Right now my friends tell me I'm lugginh the bike a bit and the motor is happier at 3,000 RPM. I'm not a real aggressive rider but would like to have some roll-on punch at crusing speeds.

I want to lower the gearing so when in 6th at 70MPH I would tach 3,000 RPM. Right now my friends tell me I'm lugginh the bike a bit and the motor is happier at 3,000 RPM. I'm not a real aggressive rider but would like to have some roll-on punch at crusing speeds.

You are not lugging the engine. Do yourself a favor leave alone and just downshift if you want instant acceleration.

You are not lugging the engine. Do yourself a favor leave alone and just downshift if you want instant acceleration.

I agree. Just because you have 6th gear, doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. I seldom use 6th below 70 unless it's a really flat road. And it's so much easier to click down a gear (or 2) than to change your overall ratio.

Back