free website stats program Gear Oil, Primary Fluid, Need Clarification | Harley Davidson Forums

Gear Oil, Primary Fluid, Need Clarification

franka

Currently I run Castrol 20/50 in my oil bag, Spectro 6 in my tranny and HD Formula + in my primary. Question is I read on this forum about using Spectro for gear oil, when I think of gears, I think tranny?
Question is what specifically are the posts referring to when they say "gear oil", tranny or primary?

I have always looked at gear oil as being manual tranny oil and the primary oil as being a wet clutch oil.

Currently I run Castrol 20/50 in my oil bag, Spectro 6 in my tranny and HD Formula + in my primary. Question is I read on this forum about using Spectro for gear oil, when I think of gears, I think tranny?
Question is what specifically are the posts referring to when they say "gear oil", tranny or primary?

IMO, Gear Oil is for the tranny.

I would not put gear oil in the primary.....(special oils not Gear Oils for that application) JMO

Hd does recommend Formal + in the primary... I don't use it on TC's but Have in my sportster, In a sportster, F+ is what they recommend in the Transmission-Primary as They Share the Same Compartment.

So Go figure

signed....BUBBIE

As Hoop says for Big Twins, but for Sportster where tranny, primary chain & clutch are in the same hole...a good gear oil...like GL-1 or Primary Gear oil safe for Wet Clutches specifically on the bottle (I use Formula+ for that reason and that friction modifiers are a no-no to wet clutches).:s

All separate compartments on a Big Twin, I have always used gear oil in the tranny, call me old fashioned but IMO gear oil is just that meant for its high shear strength and bearing lube qualities, and for the primary I like H D formula+

Your set up is great. Keep it that way, and you will have a very happy drive train!!

TQ

Back