free website stats program Gear Engagement adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Gear Engagement adjustment

dangerdan

I am still having problems finding Neutral. The only thing I have not tried is this adjustment.
Anyone know if this adjustment will help.

Attachments

• gear engagement adjustment.bmp
    625.6 KB · Views: 61
Haven't seen a shilter paw adjuster in a long time now that they just use a centering pin.
Here go's, put the bike in third gear, loosen the lock nut then adjust allen screw or whatever it has, depending on the year and model, there are a couple of special tools for doing this, but can be done without them, anyways adj. the screw untill the spring pressure and free play is equal on both sides of the shift lever travel, then tighten the lock nut and recheck it. Boy this brings back some memories, thanks Dan

Thanks Chopper.
I saved that info on my computor. Finding neutral has always been a problem and I hope this will resolve the issue. As soon as it gets warmer I will try that proceedure

On the earlier models the shifter paw adjustment will take care of most shifting issues.
Hope it warms up soon:)

I had my bike out this fall and all of a sudden I could hardly shift. I dropped it off at the dealer and one of the things they did was adjust the shift pawl. I'm thinking I should get used to checking it once in a while as part of my service. Thanks for the heads up - Bob

Back