free website stats program gear driven cams in 2000 fxstd deuce | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

gear driven cams in 2000 fxstd deuce

Changed over to geared drive on my '99 Ultra earlier this year. Ran me a tad under 1500. Most on here seem to lean toward the hydraulic cam chain tensioner over the geared system as a replacement. So far I find geared not a prob. In addition to a slight increase in torque, they are a little noisier than the chain drive.

I ALSO had GOOD results on my 2000 EARLY year (drive-cam BALL bearing) conversion on my dyna... Along with big bore 95" and gear drives using 570SS G. on a BUILT engine...

THE MANY parts I NEEDED to BUY EXTRA to do the job RIGHT when GOING GEAR-DRIVE include:
A purchase of a NEW high volume oil pump/lifters..... MINE from FUELING for 450$

Then I NEEDED a DELKRON cam support plate for 300$.....

NOW the new HD KIT for conversion to A HYD. chain/tensioner,,, comes with all the**** NEEDED stuff and COST $429.99... ****the HIGH VOLUME oil pump and cam support plate included in KIT

I WOULD of gone THAT KIT ROUTE to save $$$$ but KIT was NOT available back when I did MY conversion...

I have had very good results from MY GEAR-DRIVE hot rod conversion and put over 60,000 on that motor rebuild.... IT is still ticking for someone else today....

THE KIT from harley that comes with ALL the GOOD STUFF TODAY that cost me a TON of $$$ back then...

THE KIT IS THE WAY TO GO TODAY **IMHO

signed....BUBBIE

Have S&S 510g cam kit in my 2000 Night Train and 2001 Fat Boy, have S&S Supper E carb (with thunder Jet) and Zipper Inc. Love it. This combo (for the money) relay wokeup the scooters.

You might think about the Hybrid Cam Kit from Harley, comes with updated high flow oil pump, roller chain and cam plate for around same price and you pick your cam. Don't think you really need anything just having 19.000 miles on her but they were having problems with their rear cam bearing around 2000 (better safe then sorry) The gear drives work well but I think there's more bang for your buck and more upgrades with the hybrid cam kit and no matter what you still have nylon chain tensors in your case for the balancer, although I have never had to replace one of them except on a rebuild and the old ones were in good shape. Which ever way you decide I'm sure you'll be happy they're both good upgrades.

Went to dealer & to put in gear driven cams & what ever comes in kit is $1900. Just wondered if this is in the ballpark figure? If anyone knows thanx

The 1900.00 sounds about right. (The following might be some added expense to think about)

Does it include cams(guessing it does)? Can't use the old ones
Are you upgrading cams to get more perfomance from your bike?

If your upgrading the cams, do you have a a fuel managment device, sert, TTS, ect. This will had a 200 to 700 depending on how you go. Plus tuneing

Does your bike have a stage one(exhaust and air cleaner)? There could be added exspense, you will need it if your upgrading cams

Exhaust - I did the gear drive and Andrews 26g cams(mild upgrade). The bike ran great, big improvement. Great up to about 95MPH, once I got to 90 or 95 it would almost die, loss all power.

My exhaust was stock Roadking with Wild Pig slip ons 1.75" baffles. I spoke with DOC (TTS) about the problem. He infromed me the 1.75" baffles were no good for the 26 cams(problem with getting fresh air into the cylinders). I went to 2" baffles and DOC's recommnded change to map. Solved the problem. I did not have it dyno'd after the new baffles and map adjustment. But Doc said If I dyno'd it again I could expect to see an increase. Attached dyno is with the 1.75" baffles

Attachments

• Dyno2010.jpg
    Dyno2010.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 12
Dont need cams just thought i would go with different ones if i was going with gear cams. Think i'll go with roller chain kit.Bike runs fine. I have stage one kit with vance & hines pro pipe & carbarated. Just wanted to change because of cam shoes. Got me paronoid. Thanx guys for all the help. Dont know if i will attempt this myself or not. Have shop manual but looks pretty complicated. Thanx again.

Dont need cams just thought i would go with different ones if i was going with gear cams. Think i'll go with roller chain kit.Bike runs fine. I have stage one kit with vance & hines pro pipe & carbarated. Just wanted to change because of cam shoes. Got me paronoid. Thanx guys for all the help. Dont know if i will attempt this myself or not. Have shop manual but looks pretty complicated. Thanx again.

TQ has information HERE on this subject.... HE uses HERKO and you may want to check what TQ suggest on this matter... AS FAR AS CAMS?
I would go with a little more GRUNT but ? on which ones for your style of riding and this type of bike...

TQ SHOULD BE BACK HERE SOON!

signed....BUBBIE

Ok this might be really stupid but who is tQ? Is herko a brand or parts store? Did some research on google but did not find anything. Thanx for your help i know i'am going with the hyd kit.Now to read the manual and see if i want to tackel this myself. BUBBIE Thanx again.

While your in there you should replace the inner cam bearings to the torrington bearings, they've been known to come apart and wreck a bunch of stuff inside the motor.:s

Probably about right. Parts to do the whole thing with new cams will be in the $600-800 range depending on the cams. But call John at Flying W and ask what he would charge you for the full kit with the cams you want:

Home

Having said all that, why do you want to do the gear drive? There is a bunch of discussion on this site about gear drive vs. roller chain conversion. Check that all out before you pull the trigger.

Harley Davidson Engine Related Issues - Harley Davidson Community
Engine, Fuel and Exhaust - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

THIS IS the TQ moderator i mentioned in PM to you.....

PICK HIS BRAIN...... HE SEEMS TO HAVE DONE THIS TYPE OF REBUILD-REPAIR A LOT... check prices and GOOD REPAIR to YOU

I know HD KIT is 429.99 for the KIT #25284-08 don't know if you need spacer kit#25285-08 @ 17.95

? if kit comes with a new gasket for cam cover

I would take out the 2 INA cage bearings (engine side) and replace with TORRINGTONS while in there....

signed....BUBBIE

I did the roller chain conversion on my '03 a while ago. Check this out:

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

I put in the Andrews Products 21N cams because I wanted more low end torque. This is my commuting bike, so I do NOT jack it around town. I also have a '91 Dyna which is for playing on (soon as I rebuild it again!).

Kemo and some other guys here have also done the roller chain, but some have gone with the 26N for a little more mid and upper end performance.

The difference between the SE kit and John Wadsworth's (aka, Herko) kit is what you get. The SE kit assumes that you are gonna reuse the exiting cams or some other cams where you will reuse the original silent chain and chain sprockets (inner chain). Johns kit is the complete change out with roller chain on both inside and outside locations. John's kit is VERY complete at about the same price although you will need to buy new cams that are for the new style support plate (no outside bearings).

I strongly suggest contacting John Wadsworth at Flying W and seeing what he suggest for you given your desires for power and torque. He is a very good guy to do business with. I whole-heartedly recommend his kit.

Flying W Performance Home

TQ

Back