Gear Change Lever

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by llandie.50, Nov 24, 2008.

1. llandie.50

llandie.50 Member

Hi
    I have a 2006 machine and i have just brought some new boots with a bigger toe on them. the problem is now that i cant get my toe between the rest and the gear change to make a smooth change. I have tried to adjust the leaver but now its too high. I need a lever about 1" longer . is there a good place to buy these>

Thanks

Mick

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

How about dropping the lever down a spline on the shaft and readjusting the linkage again.

3. tsp45acp

tsp45acp Active Member

+1 Glider, That's what I did. Tracy

4. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

maybe I'm reading this post wrong but --- if the lever was at MoCo installation specs. and rider did not have room there and now after moving it it's to high,how would dropping a spline help?? Unless lever went up more than one notch????? Sorry just trying to clear it up in the ol' noggin!!!

5. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

I read it twice just to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong. But unless you had a torch and a welder that advice wouldn't help.Come on Glider prove us wrong(I'm sure you will)

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

This is how I see it and have done it this way on a few bikes.
    Moving the lever one spline in either direction raises/lowers the lever significantly on the shaft and adjustment of the linkage then on most bikes would "fine tune" it to a more desirable location to fit your size by lengthening or shortening the shift linkage . Of course you have to have the ball ends with the lock nuts on the linkage to do this.

Does that help?

7. R. Lewis

So --- put the gear shift lever back to original position and adjust the linkage + or -, to "lift" the lever up enough to get the boot between the floorboard/peg and lever or leave it at the position it's at now,which is to high, and adjust linkage to lower lever enough right?

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

You got it. give some here and take some there.:D

9. R. Lewis

And it only took roughly a day for me to get it !!!!!! whooo-hhhoooooo! ha-ha!

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

That's no problem, most people don't even know this can be adjusted.:D