free website stats program Gasoline Pump Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gasoline Pump Question

Each time I fill the bikes or my '67 Galaxie with the high octane, the attendant will take the hose, point the nozzle to the ground and let what gasoline there is in the hose drain. Truth be told, it's only a few drops....

Well I am a skeptic, I think more like a couple of liters, I fuel the wifes Honda first just to be sure.

So you're saying about 1/2 gallon or so, that seems like an awful lot of left over gas. The old gas pumps, mechanical selection and turn on, were like that where you could drain the hose for a bit more in the tank, but I doubt the newer pumps dribble more than a few milliliters if that. Shouldn't be enough to make a difference...JMO

One way to put this theory to rest is next time you pull in for gas, before activating the pump, just operate the fill and see the few drops come out for yourself.:s

Not sure how you could not get a little of the lower gas... even with drainback, still would have a little in the bottom of the hose. Hmmmmm... need more research.

Back