free website stats program Gas tank removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas tank removal

rklew

Looking to remove my gas tank on my 09 RK for a paint job. Just ordered the service manual but it won't be in for 7 to 10 days. Anyone know the deal on the tank removal along with the gas gauge. Thanks for any replys.

Looking to remove my gas tank on my 09 RK for a paint job. Just ordered the service manual but it won't be in for 7 to 10 days. Anyone know the deal on the tank removal along with the gas gauge. Thanks for any replys.

Self help section, disconnect battery, and cover it up:s

be sure to unhook fuel line fitting under tank its a coupler kind of like a air fitting do this before moving tank or you may break fitting on intake. I found this out the hard way had to buy new hose $47.00 .

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like an easy job.

Pull your fuel pump fuse and run the bike until it stalls before you try to undo the fuel connection. Fuel pressure is 58 psi, and makes a very good squirt. Also it's a lot easier to uncouple with no pressure. Clamp the fuel crossover line with vicegrips, or have a 1/4" bolt to jam into the open line. An extra piece of fuel line for the other fitting is also nice. If you are going to siphon the gas out before removing (good idea), be VERY careful where you put the hose in the tank. You can mess up gas gauge, fuel pump connector, fuel line, etc. Not difficult, just fussy work. Put that pretty gas tank in a safe place and cover it. Tanks off a bike are magnets for dents or scratches.

Definitely watch your clearance when pulling the tank & I covered mine with large bath towel to ensure those flying objects didn't become an issue. Just take your time, be careful & you'll be good to go.

This is an understatement!! Stuff will fly across the garage to try and land on your tins when they are off the bike. It's amazing!!

TQ

I put all the big bits i take off into the other shed and cover the delicate parts with an old blanket

Brian

xtra fuel line is the way i drained mine from crossover hose on one side . dont pinch the fuel lines going to the tank on the bottom they have a hose in a hose, inner one breaks u have to replace the whole hose

Back