free website stats program Gas Tank long term storage | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas Tank long term storage

DadzLowrider

So I got my new painted tins today and will be doing the swap soon. My question is this........ Do I need to do anything to the tank to store it and keep it from rusting on the inside? If I just stick it in a closet in my house will it rust? Should I cover up all the holes with tape or anything?

If it's the stock tank you will be storing, I would put some oil in it and roll it around to coat the inside then drain any excess and cover the openings. The later tanks didn't have a coating on the inside.

You might try blowing out real good to get it dry then take a nylon stocking and put some rice in it then stuff the sock in the filler with a string tied to it then seal the opennings. the rice should absorb any extra moisture that might acrue----jack

You might try blowing out real good to get it dry then take a nylon stocking and put some rice in it then stuff the sock in the filler with a string tied to it then seal the opennings. the rice should absorb any extra moisture that might acrue----jack
Okay, I have to ask because I know it's coming. Is that how they make rice burners? Or if you put the old tank back on, does that make it a rice burner?

:18: :bigsmiley20: :newsmile022:

Okay, I have to ask because I know it's coming. Is that how they make rice burners? Or if you put the old tank back on, does that make it a rice burner?

:18: :bigsmiley20: :newsmile022:

When opportunity knocks, you gotta answer. Nice one!!!

That's not what I had in mind when I said it but it is funny-----just couldn't resist could ya?? good one

Back