Gas Tank/Hello

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by doubledb, Oct 6, 2008.

1. doubledb

doubledb New Member

I'm new here and just purchased a 2002 Dyna. I don't think that I'm getting all of the gas out of the after market tank. The most that I have been able to put in is 2.2 gals. I looks like there is still about 1 1/2 gal left. I replaced the vacuum line to the petcock. The bike runs good but I still suspect the petcock. If I decided to do away with the vacuum petcock is the carb capable of not letting the gas run through. The bike still has the stock carb.
    Thanks
    David

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

You can replace or bypass the vacuum portion of the petcock and the carb will handle it. I would also check the cross over tube that connects under the front of the tank. There have been blockages from the tank sealer and that's more what your problem sounds like.

All kinds of things in the self help forum.:D

Vacuum To Mechanical Petcock - Harley Davidson Community

3. doubledb

doubledb New Member

Thanks I replaced that tube yesterday and gas ran out both ends but maybe not enough. So if I let the bike sit awhile and forget to shut off the petcock you don't think the fuel would wash through.
    David

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Always better to shut it off to eliminate the possibility of any leakage past the needle and seat in the carb. If you feel uncomfortable with modifying the petcock, just replace it then.