free website stats program Gas Smell | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas Smell

The first thing that comes to mind here is that I bet this guy is coming to a stop inside the garage and then cleans his pipes out one last time before he chops the throttle. In the last few seconds before he turns the ignition switch he is loading up with a lot of unburnt fuel, thus he is going to smell it for awhile until it eventually evaporates. Try pulling into the garage without reving the engine and let it idle down for 15 seconds before turning it off. It might be worth a try. Bye the way, many, many people complain of this.

And I'll bet this guy isn't. :D I pull in the garage and kill it. No cleaning of pipes. Tonight I did what Breeze suggested and let it sit on the driveway for a while. 10 minutes later while still sitting outside, I could still smell gas. Not a drip to be found anywhere, but a very strong gas odor.

If we are talking about a touring scoot, fill it up completely. Then ride her for a few miles. When you get home, take the dash off. YOu may find that the fuel tank top plate is leaking. You may find that the leak is seeping down a hard to find path. The plate not only needs a good rubber gasket, but it also needs intact sealing screws.

Good luck,
Rich P

I have a 07 egc dont have this problem ,but my friend had a similiar problem on his 09 ultra it was so bad you couldnt even stay in the garage until a hour went by,then on a ride I noticed a smell of fuel when I was behind him.He took it to the shop for a oil leak the dealer said a piece on his kury air cleaner was missing,you could grab the air cleaner and move the entire assy up and down.Turns out when kury first started selling this assy they forgot a piece that bolts between the heads and down to throttle body.Now it no longer smells after replacing that piece,just a thought the smell could be coming from the throttle body area it might be worth a look...good luck..Tom..

My Wide Glide does the same thing, the emptier the tank is, the more it smells. Some noses are probably more sensitive to the smell than others.:newsmile042:

Every Harley I have ever owned, Sportster, Softtails, Dyna and Road King all have given a gas odor after pulling in the garage. I always figured it was unburned gas fumes. I have a fan i turn on for a few minutes pointed at the bike with the garage door open while I clean the windshield, etc.

Update on the fuel smell problem, if anyone is interested. Mine is still smelling of raw gas every time I pull it in the garage. Talked to the dealer in Waco earlier this week. He said it could be building up pressure in the tank after shut off and venting through the overflow tube, so I rode a few hundred miles, pulled in the garage, and removed the gas cap immediately so no pressure could build up. Went back 15 minutes later, hardly any smell. Normally after 15 minutes of it sitting in the garage with the door shut, the gas smell was overwhelming. You don't want to light a match anywhere near it, it was that bad. So I figured it had to have something to with the gas cap not venting. Since it's a brand new bike, I don't want to have to remove the gas cap after every ride and I shouldn't have to. So I took it back to the dealer in Waco on Thursday. They checked everything and said they couldn't find any problem, but replaced the gas cap. I didn't think that would solve the issue and I was right. Came home, put it in the garage, shut the door. 15 minutes later, garage was full of gas fumes again. Called the dealer yesterday and they said one other guy had a similar issue and a fuel injector was bleeding down causing the smell. So now they want me to bring it back and they will replace both injectors since they're not sure which one it is and don't want to try to guess. I'm not convinced thats the problem or solution but I'll let them try it and see if it fixes it. Will report back after the new injectors are installed.

Check solenoid purge control valve under seat just behind fuel tank, it has two hoses connected to it and one two pin wire connector. To see if it's faulty and causing gas fumes to leak through your intake and smell up your garage when bike is off.Carefully remove the two hoses {Right after ride} and try to blow through valve, it should be closed. If it's open and your able to blow through it then tap on it and see if it closes, if it does then it's gummed up. You could try cleaning with a small amount of carb cleaner or just replace for around 15 bucks. HD part# 27715-07.

I have an 08 EG and this has been a problem from day one. My dealer was real good about it and checked the bike over on several different occasions, but gas smell still an issue. During a trip up north I took the bike into a dealer in West Virginia (still under warranty) after they checked it out and found nothing wrong the mechanic told me this is just something they have had a problem with since 08. It seems the fuller the tank is the less build up he said, less fuel more room for vapor build up in tank, more bleed off through vent hole. He went on to explain that the engines on the 08's and newer run hotter and the gap between top of engine and bottom of tank is smaller. Once you stop and park heat rises and gas evaporates fast thereby more fumes.
Solutions for reducing problem according to mechanic, fuel management system (tuner), better exhaust, oil cooler to keep engine at lower temp and last is a tank raiser kit that allows the tank to be slightly lifted in the front to allow more air flow over top of motor. All these where things I had planed to do anyway and since complete the fuel smell has reduced drastically. On super hot days (like here in Florida) I still get a little smell but not as bad.
Hope this helps everyone out. Good luck and stay safe.
WAP.gif

I always park my bike outside first before putting it in the garage. Will have to go out and give it a sniff just after shutdown to see if I have same problem.
Lately it has smelled like gear oil after a ride but that was from a recent trans oil change....

Take care,
Dave

Back