free website stats program Gas Smell | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas Smell

I know you already did this, but check your gas cap also and do as fin says leave it outside till it cools.

Yep - may seem trivial, but make sure your gas cap's tight & sealing properly.

I noticed that nobody has mentioned the possibility of the gasket under you fuel guage not sealing. If this gasket is not sealing, gas can leak down the tube you wires go through. It takes very little gas to make a big smell. Pull the gas guage and check to make sure the screws are tight that holds the float flange down.

My new bike is really smelling up the garage after a ride too. The dealer checked it out yesterday and said everything was fine, but if I pull in the garage and shut the door, the gas smell is really bad. I'll open the door to air it out, and then shut it again 15 minutes later and no more gas smell. It only happens after a ride. No visible leaks. Don't know what it is, but something can't be right here, can it??? 100% stock right now.

If it is fuel injected, check the two pressurized fuel lines (send and return) going from the tank to the FI. My send was leaking bad but it was hard to notice because the leaked fuel evaporates while riding, and then when it is in the garage it smells for a while, but doesn't leak because the system is no longer under pressure.

My new bike is really smelling up the garage after a ride too. The dealer checked it out yesterday and said everything was fine, but if I pull in the garage and shut the door, the gas smell is really bad. I'll open the door to air it out, and then shut it again 15 minutes later and no more gas smell. It only happens after a ride. No visible leaks. Don't know what it is, but something can't be right here, can it??? 100% stock right now.

Glazier - dont I remember you mentioning poor fuel mileage on this new bike? I know it was still in break in period then. Did the mileage get better? If not doberwiler may be on too something. You may have a leak while running only. Seems to me that a measurement of the fule rail pressure would be in order to see how fast it leaks down. Somebody recently posted a Matco part number for the adapter needed to do this but since its under warranty, make HD deal with it.

Try shutting your bike off before pulling into the garage. Then push it into the garage after only a short time. If you have a raw gas vapor causing the smell it will remain, otherwise it's from the exhaust. When I first installed my TFI, I had a rich idle until I adjusted it. At least you will have isolated the source.

Glazier - dont I remember you mentioning poor fuel mileage on this new bike? I know it was still in break in period then. Did the mileage get better? If not doberwiler may be on too something. You may have a leak while running only. Seems to me that a measurement of the fule rail pressure would be in order to see how fast it leaks down. Somebody recently posted a Matco part number for the adapter needed to do this but since its under warranty, make HD deal with it.

Yes Bodeen, I'm still getting 35 mpg on every tank full. I barely get 200 miles on a full 6 gallon tank. I was getting that on my Heritage and that was only a 5 gallon tank with a carb. I've got 2000 miles on her now so she should be past the break in. I think I should be getting better than that, especially with the lean factory settings, but who knows. Maybe there is a leak somewhere contributing to the poor mpg's and the smell of gas. I don't smell it while riding and I haven't seen any leaks. I'll get it back to the dealer soon and go from there. Thanks.

Try shutting your bike off before pulling into the garage. Then push it into the garage after only a short time. If you have a raw gas vapor causing the smell it will remain, otherwise it's from the exhaust. When I first installed my TFI, I had a rich idle until I adjusted it. At least you will have isolated the source.

Good idea. I'll try that tonight when I get home. Another beautiful day here in Texas and I'm going ridin' :D

The first thing that comes to mind here is that I bet this guy is coming to a stop inside the garage and then cleans his pipes out one last time before he chops the throttle. In the last few seconds before he turns the ignition switch he is loading up with a lot of unburnt fuel, thus he is going to smell it for awhile until it eventually evaporates. Try pulling into the garage without reving the engine and let it idle down for 15 seconds before turning it off. It might be worth a try. Bye the way, many, many people complain of this.

Back