gas smell?

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by allguitar, Oct 12, 2009.

1. allguitar

allguitar Member

Is it normal for my HD to smell like gas after it's been ridden? I can't see any leaks, but it always smells like gas - pretty strong - after I ride it. Should I be worried?

2. springer03

springer03 Active Member

You should not worry but should check it out. The only time i smell gas is after a fill up. Not while riding or when i park. Maybe explain what type bike you ride and someone will have an idea.:cheers

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Same here. Only time I smell gas is after I fill up the tank. Never while riding or after bike sits in garage.

Hoop!

4. gmurdock

gmurdock Active Member

Are you filling it up just before you park it in the garage? I have never smelt gas from my bike after riding?

5. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

ahhhh I love the smell of unburned hydrocarbons in the morning... my bikes only have a fuel smell after filling it and only for a couple minutes afterward. except for the older bikes they can have a fuel smell if you dont turn off the petcock when you park em..

6. maine-e-axe

maine-e-axe Junior Member

Vent hose may be off or dried up and cracked, look around the tank for a cracked rubber hose, good luck:cheers

7. allguitar

allguitar Member

Dear All,
    Thanks for your replies. My bike is a 2001 XL1200S. It is carburetored (not fuel injected).

So I definitely have a gas smell constantly. My jeans smell like gas after I ride, and the bike still smells like gas for at least an hour or two after a short trip. But it doesn't smell if I haven't started it up.

I'm going to check the vapor vent at the tank. Thanks to the previous post. :cheers

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  8. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

If your jeans smell like gas, you have a leak down low, possibly a cracked hose, usually near the clamped ends...airflow is blowing it onto you which is NOT a good thing. Your bike is old enough that it probably needs most all the hoses replaced just as a precaution. Measure all the lengths you need and if there are sharp bends, sketch a rough outline of the curves. You may need "formed" fuel line hose, so your friendly neighboorhood autoparts store will have regular 1/4"-5/16" hose or heavy duty (read stiff) fuel injection reinforced bulk or preformed hoses you trim to fit. Bring the old hoses with you...if you can, and replace with worm type clamps.

9. FLHXTom29715

FLHXTom29715 Active Member

I'm not sure about sporsters, but I had to replace a gas cap after dropping it,(the cap not the bike) I kept getting a gas smell and it stopped after that. But I agree, check hoses etc, your jeans shouldn't smell that strong after a ride. Good luck T

10. allguitar

allguitar Member

Ok, thanks everyone for your advice. :)