free website stats program Gas Pains | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas Pains

wolfy75

My Ole Lady just got here a brand new nightster (EFI)a couple of weeks ago so she's just in the process of breaking it in. But we were out for a ride on Sunday and she put on about 150 Klics (90 miles) and had to re-tank............
I'm thinking thta this is because is new and tight and we were just running up and down the gears and cruising slow.
But what do you guys normally get on a full tank.

the nightster has the same tank as my '06 XL1200R. it's like 3.3 gallons, but mine is also carbed. i usually get to about 120 miles before i have to switch to reserve. so that's about 2.5 gallons of gas. i'm not sure about the EFI's though.

I have a new XL1200 Custom with exactly 500 miles on it. Last tank I got 41 mpg. Terrain was rolling hills and a mixture of town and 45 mph country riding.

Changing oil today (if the rain holds off) and putting full syn in the engine. We'll see if we can eak out a few more MPG.

One more thing...on the Custom (4.5 gal tank) the light comes on with well over a gallon left in the tank...approximately 1.3 gal on average. So, at least on my machine, there is a lot of highway left when the light comes on.

My low fuel light starts coming on between 90-95 miles. From my understanding (from the dealer) this just means your down to about 40-45 miles, not empty just yet. I've only got about 350 miles on it so I'm hoping the mileage goes up a bit.

My low fuel light starts coming on between 90-95 miles. From my understanding (from the dealer) this just means your down to about 40-45 miles, not empty just yet. I've only got about 350 miles on it so I'm hoping the mileage goes up a bit.

Rather than relying on that info, just calculate your mileage and reserve. When you fill up, you know what the reserve is when the light comes on (if you fill up right away) and can calculated MPG and miles to empty. The fuel lights are not all calibrated the same I'm sure.

I get 52 mpg on my '98 Sportster. It has been piped and jetted. It is mixed riding. It has 34,000 on it and runs great. I do prefer to put Premium in her.

Back