free website stats program Gas Mileage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas Mileage

my buddies 89 springer gets 17.5 to the gal..

It is possible to USE that much fuel, but it would be physically impossible to completely BURN that much fuel. Unless he has changed his sprocket ratios to yield 5,000 RPM at 60 mph, a ton of raw fuel has to be getting past the rings. I hope he is changing his oil every 750 miles.

he bought it off a guy with more money and i can count. the previous owner bought it new in Holland and just keep putting money into it before he even put it on the road. i all i really know is it doesn't leak and it is a monster to ride papers say pushing well over 100 hp. too wild for me

Hmmm. Ok. Well maybe it is a super modified, huge displacement engine with more than one spark plug per cylinder and other mods that could consume and burn that much fuel. Maybe some of the drag guys on here could comment on the type of milage those bikes get.

But he has to be sucking a bunch of fuel and ramming a huge amount of air in the cylinders with the fuel to try and burn that much gas. I have a FORD V8 4.6L engine in my '01 Crown Victoria that gets better gas milage.

So if he is only getting that mpg, he should quickly get that checked out to see where the gas is going. As mentioned above, it could be getting into areas it shouldn't be.

TQ

Hello there , Yes its my Springer Lorne is talking about.
I'm supprised as well , It's got a 45MM carb, High cams, open exhaust(drag-pipes) , 12-1 compression ,K&N air filter. Dyna sheet says it boost out 145Nm torque , abt 110 hp @ the rear wheel.
Loves to rev.But I agree it still too much fuel. I used to have a 1966 Buick Riviera with a 420 ci engine that did 6.5 miles to a gallon .I'm lucky I live on Margarita with more then decent fuel prices (roughly abt. 8 cent for a gallon)

Simon

Simon, is that a Mistype? 8 cents a Gallon?? I can't even start my bike for that. It's $4.20 a gal ($1.17/litre) here.

Sixpak....true story most i have ever put in my old blazer is $3.50 and almost had to push it into the fuel station:cheers!!!! bottled water is more expensive... Beer is cheap too!!!

every time my father comes down from Canada he has to take photos of the prices in all the gas stations so people will believe him..

Tanker or beer or fuel???

Back