free website stats program Gas Mileage | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas Mileage

AKRider

Okay for some reason I thought I was going to get better mileage on my 05 softail springer. Right now I am getting some where around 32 to 35 mpg. is this right? what do you guys get? and if it's not right what the heck! I have Fuel injection and I know nothing about it. I am used to carbs. should I be doing something?

my '04 softtail standard gets 36-37 in city driving and well over 44 on the highway, the best i have gotten has been 48mpg, that was flat east texas interstate.

Jeff

Okay for some reason I thought I was going to get better mileage on my 05 softail springer. Right now I am getting some where around 32 to 35 mpg. is this right? what do you guys get? and if it's not right what the heck! I have Fuel injection and I know nothing about it. I am used to carbs. should I be doing something?

A lot depends on What Modifications have been done.. Stage one?
better Air, less restrictive exhaust, fuel device????/bigger bore/Cams?

ALL the modifications will make a difference here..

If you can ask the old owner or a Knowledgeable friend close by you to take a look at your bike OR if you have a friendly HD service, I would go there to ask about what they see...

It is almost impossible to answer the question you are asking WITHOUT a lot of "what has been done to the bike"

*****If it is running good? NOT burning Heavy BLACK out the exhaust and the Plugs look to be a tinge of Grey to brown and not Black.

Try this out and maybe you will/can give us More information...

The mileage you say is NOT way out of line IF the bike answers *****

signed....BUBBIE

Note you state SOMEWHERE??? you need an accurate check to see mileage..

My 2010 FXDC gets 45 MPH on the highway runs to and from work. When I'm cruising around the back roads and in town it drops to 25 - 30. Perfectly normal I would think for my bike but I only checked the mileage cuz I was curious.....certainly did not buy a harley for feul economy.

A lot depends on What Modifications have been done.. Stage one?
better Air, less restrictive exhaust, fuel device????/bigger bore/Cams?

ALL the modifications will make a difference here..

If you can ask the old owner or a Knowledgeable friend close by you to take a look at your bike OR if you have a friendly HD service, I would go there to ask about what they see...

It is almost impossible to answer the question you are asking WITHOUT a lot of "what has been done to the bike"

*****If it is running good? NOT burning Heavy BLACK out the exhaust and the Plugs look to be a tinge of Grey to brown and not Black.

Try this out and maybe you will/can give us More information...

The mileage you say is NOT way out of line IF the bike answers *****

signed....BUBBIE

Note you state SOMEWHERE??? you need an accurate check to see mileage..

Will do thanks alot for the Advice, I know the last owner put on Rhineharts, but that is the extent of it. He said the dealer supposedly tuned it for the bike, I am not so sure about that. but that is pretty much the extent of it as far as I know, I will take a look at the plugs today and see what kind of build up is on them. and do some more mileage checking. 2 weeks ago I went to Fairbanks(600) mile round trip and on the way up it was getting 32, so I put in some EFI cleaner and it did jump up to 35mpg. thanks

my buddies 89 springer gets 17.5 to the gal..good thing in Margarita gas is almost free!! my 98 softail is about 34 to the gal

OK -- I have an '01 Heritage. I take road trips with my wife on board. This past weekend, I filled the tank at home - FULL - and we rode exactly 100.0 miles to a gas station. Filled up with exactly 2.1 gals of gas. Im a happy camper.

Bill

Bubbie's got you covered - alot depends on bike mods (pipes, air, fueler, etc.) and riding conditions (city/hwy, hills, wind) so see if the former rider/owner, or HD can tell you the set-up & work from there. Actually, 32-35 isn't all that bad for a v-twin...maybe they put a 103 kit in it - which would be sweet.

my buddies 89 springer gets 17.5 to the gal..good thing in Margarita gas is almost free!! my 98 softail is about 34 to the gal

Whoa! Something way wrong with that Springer. That should be a 1340 EVO with the Keihin CV40 carb. Is his float needle getting stuck allowing the gas to continue to drain from the carb/tank when parked? With that much fuel going through the engine, his plugs should be a big black ball of mush around the electrode. That bike should almost be dripping gasoline out of the pipes.

TQ

Whoa! Something way wrong with that Springer. That should be a 1340 EVO with the Keihin CV40 carb. Is his float needle getting stuck allowing the gas to continue to drain from the carb/tank when parked? With that much fuel going through the engine, his plugs should be a big black ball of mush around the electrode. That bike should almost be dripping gasoline out of the pipes.

TQ

he bought it off a guy with more money and i can count. the previous owner bought it new in Holland and just keep putting money into it before he even put it on the road. i all i really know is it doesn't leak and it is a monster to ride papers say pushing well over 100 hp. too wild for me

Back