free website stats program Gas leaking | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas leaking

1992 Sportster XHL 1000 cc
I have a gas leak problem. Gas is leaking from somewhere inside. and driping off of the bike from the oil filter. looks like it is streaming from the starter to the oil filter. Anyone got osme Ideas?

Check the petcock first, carb float level and fuel line:s

ok the overflow is where it's leaking from. looks like the carb is getting too much gas. stops leaking of course when I give it gas..

ok the overflow is where it's leaking from. looks like the carb is getting too much gas. stops leaking of course when I give it gas..

Looks like its time to drop the float bowl and check inside, check out the self help section, do you have a factory manual?

I just got this bike a few weeks ago, shop manual is next on my buy list.. thanks god the battery cover I ordered fits with no probs!!
fixing to change the transmission gasket. I'll hop back on the carb in a bit hehe:bigsmiley22:

I just got this bike a few weeks ago, shop manual is next on my buy list.. thanks god the battery cover I ordered fits with no probs!!
fixing to change the transmission gasket. I'll hop back on the carb in a bit hehe:bigsmiley22:

Keep us posted and good luck:s

I beleive on a '92 the oil filter is upfront. where bypass tube is. first is it garage, if so heat may be a factor. if not venting properly from gas cap has to go somewhere. (EDIT) in petcock will let it seep,overfilling bowl(bypass).needle valve adjustment(floatbowl height). bad gas, dirt got by and clogging and causeing to bypass. if leaking out of crankcase breather/filter check oil for gas. will have to change oil if so.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
good news. trany fluid isn't coming out of the crank case any more. Now to solve the oh no's where is my clutch! too tired to mess with it tonight. i'm learning a little though.(the hard way) haha

I beleive on a '92 the oil filter is upfront. where bypass tube is. first is it garage, if so heat may be a factor. if not venting properly from gas cap has to go somewhere. (EDIT) in petcock will let it seep,overfilling bowl(bypass).needle valve adjustment(floatbowl height). bad gas, dirt got by and clogging and causeing to bypass. if leaking out of crankcase breather/filter check oil for gas. will have to change oil if so

transmission fluid was coming from the crank case. I just took a break from the gas issue to fix that. going to check the petcock tomorrow. the gas is good. changed the oil/filter plugs last weekend. only problem besides the gas issue I have now, is getting the clutch tight again.. got to ride it untill I hit 2nd then the clutch just went loose bleh...

Last edited by a moderator:
At the age your bike is i would think it might be a good time to replace the float needle valve as the rubber tip hardens and will not seal fully and the fuel then gets past it and out the overflow
part number 27886-78a for the float needle

Have a read at this for the clutch problem

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method - Harley Davidson Community

the service manual is your guide to getting it right but our self help section has all the answers just look for them

Brian

yea I was looking at that video last night about clutch adjustment. what a piece of gold that is. i'm glad they took the time to do it. Kudos to them! this forum has a wealth of information. An the community is very helpful here. i'll post updates fixing to re replace the crankcase gasket, and deal with the cluth part 2 in 3d!!!:lero

Back