free website stats program Gas leaking out of gas cap | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas leaking out of gas cap

I think there is another vent as well under the dash, the hose connected to it may be kincked, over flow should run on the ground out the vent hose not on the tank. I think the cap lets air in the tank and the other vent lets air out. Good luck:57:

I had a stock cap on my 08 Custom on top of the gas pump last spring and a gust of wind came a long and blew it off on to the ground and it leaked badly after that point. had to replace it with a new one . Problem solved. Seems there was something broken loose inside .

I had the same problem with an 08 Heritage - stock gas cap. After I filled up I would tighten it until it started clicking. Turns out it wasn't fully seated. I know turn until it clicks, then press down on it and turn some more - it always tightens up a bit more. Haven't had a problem since.

Mine didn't start leaking until I was moving - and it didn't drip on the engine - it ran back the tank and got on my pants...

I had this same problem this past weekend on my Deluxe. Mine didn't leak either until I gassed on it after fueling up. Soaked my pants also:bigsmiley20: looked like I had tinkled on myself for about 5 miles. I will be getting me a new cap this week. Thanks for the info. :cheers

Must be a pretty big problem because I have read numerous posts about this problem. My experience is that when you add gas to over the bottom of the restrictor in the neck of the gas tank it will leak if the cap is not put on tightly. Turn till it clicks and then push down and turn for several more clicks. If you look at the seal and the sealing surface on the tank to me it is an example of poor engineering. Might be a case where saving 50 cents wasn't too smart. The sealing area should be down in the tank slightly not at the surface level. I have never had a gas leaking problem until my Harley.

Yep I was pretty disappointed also last weekend. :( I will fix mine if I can :) Ride when you can! :cheers I would rather push my Harley than ride a Jap or Euro, unless they are real hot.:rr :bigsmiley20:

Check the O ring on the cap you have on it or try the stock OEM cap to see if it leaks:57:

I had this problem with a set of gas caps I purchased from J&P.The O ring swelled slightly and allowed gas to leek when full.I swapped the O rings out from the stock caps and it fixed the problem.

I had this problem with a set of gas caps I purchased from J&P.The O ring swelled slightly and allowed gas to leek when full.I swapped the O rings out from the stock caps and it fixed the problem.

Well mine still has the stock cap, but I tighten until it clicks(a couple of times) and that's it. I'm going to try the tighten til it clicks and push down and tighten some more and see if that helps. Last weekend is the first time it done it, but I fueled later the same day and did it a little bit again. We'll see if that helps the next time ride. Thanks for the info. :cheers

My 2009 Heritage does the same thing with a full tank of gas,I just fill it up to about a inch from the top holding the bike up level,and this stopped the gas problem.I will try the trick of pushing down on the cap next time i get gas.

Back