free website stats program Gas leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas leak

sutxr1

I have a 1996 Softail classic. Leaking gas out of breather tube on bottom of bike. Any simple solution?

Welcome Sutxr1 to HDTimeline, you will have others here to help you shortly. Go to the tabs near the top for Self Help tips and the Search tab to find other posts on the subject.

As for your question, more detail is needed...are you leaking gas out the breather tube or overflow tube? Do you have a service manual or "schematic" outlining hoses and routing? Are there any "performance symptoms along with this leakage?

I have a 1996 Softail classic. Leaking gas out of breather tube on bottom of bike. Any simple solution?

One easy solution is turning the supply valve off at the tank when you shut off the engine. It is likely that your float valve is not shutting off the flow of gas in the carb. You can drop the float bowl and see if it is full of stuff. Carefully rinse it out and then use some carb spray to chase the ports. Very gently spray/clean the float valve. Probably a bit of stuff stuck to the rubbery part there. If that does not do it, you may have to replace all that stuff (rebuild).

Easiest solution is the shutoff valve at the tank.

TQ

Also check your gas cap, it may not be venting and the pressure buildup is pushing the gas past the needle in the carb. Otherwise time to drop the float bowl and remove the needle and seat and clean things out.

It is the overflow tube. It ran great yesterday on a trip. I turned off pinkel gas valve, parked bike.
came back a few hours later, turned on valve started bike a few minutes, turned engine off and forgot to turn gas valve off and happened to smell gas about ten minutes later and it was leaking out of the overflow tube.

Engine runs great no issues starting but as soon as i open the pinkel it leaks the gas out. still runs great but gas comes out.

how do i get to the float?

Last edited by a moderator:
The float is on the bottom of the carb in a housing known as the float bowl
its held on to the bottom of the carb by 4 screws
once the float bowl is removed then the float can be removed by pushing out the float pivot pin the float needle valve is hooked on to the float at the pivot end the needle valve has a rubber tip to help seal the rubber deteriorates after a number of years use and should be replaced

get a service manual to help you as setting the float height is critical in the good running of the bike

Brian

how do i get to the float?

More than likely running the engine with the pingle turned off got a bit of debris stuck in the needle and seat inside the float bowl of the carb. Here's a diagram to help you till you get the manual for the bike. #57 is what you are looking for. Remove the pin for the float and turn on the pingle to flush the line but do it outside because fuel will spill out.

HD0512020.gif

dropped the float bowl and removed the needle and seat and clean things out.
It worked and no more gas leak, it runs great. Thank all of u for your help!

Back