free website stats program gas leak heads up! | Harley Davidson Forums

gas leak heads up!

Billbo

Well hello again folks. Yesterday I rode about 150 miles or so -- needed to fill up with gas near my house. Stopped and filled up and was only about 1 mile from my home. Had my wife on back - going maybe 30-40 mph all of a sudden felt liquid droplets hitting my arms and face. Thought it may be sprinkling - was cloudy and rainly looking. But no drops on my windshield??? wierd. Then I stopped for a right turn and saw the problem - a hose had come off the gas tank right on the front side just above the steering head. I stuck it back on and got home and took the console off and there was this little gooseneck hose fitting coming out of the top/front of the tank and the hose was off! Well I fixed that and learned my lesson - ALWAYS check that hose connection. It would be very simple for anyone to walk up and pull it off or loosen it even. I have never had that happen before or heard anyone here talk about it, but now will be checking it more closely.

Seems that could have very easily resulted in a fire!!!!

Be safe
Bill

:s Good on you Bill for taking the time to fix that potential fire bomb

That would be the vent if memory serves me right. Seems like it's the little things we overlook when doing pm work.

well -- me!! I didnt even know it was there. Got home and looked it up in my service manual and yessirrrreeeee there it was --- wonder why NO clamp or hose clamp on that bugger?? (EDIT) my hose just slides on and off by hand!!!

Bill

Last edited:
well -- me!! I didnt even know it was there. Got home and looked it up in my service manual and yessirrrreeeee there it was --- wonder why NO clamp or hose clamp on that bugger??

Bill

Vent hoses typically have little pressure, me I like clamps

The fitting on the tank should be "barbed" and since there's no pressure they probably figure a clamp is not needed. Sounds like the hose got fatigued and vibrated loose. Did you look to see if the hose is starting to crack or deteriorate?

I think I know which hose the OP is talking about. The small/short hose that vents the left side tank to the right. He is correct there is no clamp on this hose, mine is cut long enough so that it cannot come off as long as the gas tank halves are bolted in place.

The fitting on the tank should be "barbed" and since there's no pressure they probably figure a clamp is not needed. Sounds like the hose got fatigued and vibrated loose. Did you look to see if the hose is starting to crack or deteriorate?

thanks and it is actually. spose I should try to replace it and maybe a new hose would fit tighter too!
Bill

thanks and it is actually. spose I should try to replace it and maybe a new hose would fit tighter too!
Bill

SPIT on the new hose when connecting. NO other lubricant is needed for the new hose.

Over a few years without a clamp, it too will loosen.

No Snoose allowed though...:bigsmiley17:

signed....BUBBIE

Back