free website stats program Gas can plastic filler tube in gas tank question! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas can plastic filler tube in gas tank question!

What ever it takes, I would get the plastic out you'll never feel comfortable with that rattling around your tank.

With my bike.Being fuel injected I would never stick a sharpened coat hanger in the tank.Too afraid of puncturing the high pressure line:(

Posted before I really thought of that. Unless you're able to get some good light in there and know 100% what you're stabbing, forget about my idea!

Fill the tank. Doesnt plastic float?

Good point. Should be able to fill the tank to the point where you can see the object floating AND reach it with some long, needle nose pliers.

Posted before I really thought of that. Unless you're able to get some good light in there and know 100% what you're stabbing, forget about my idea!

1988, not fuel injected. All good suggestions so far (I like the flexible gripper best). I will suggest getting a chair/stool, a good light and not get too fixated on getting it out the first or second time. It will probably be frustrating, so you should back off after a short time so you won't end up with another project. :p

Empty the tank then wrap some duct tape around the end of the coat hanger so the sticky side is out, probe around carefully till it attaches, then gently retract.

Man, if he can't get it out after all these suggestions we need to go back to the drawing board!

Maybe we should start a betting pool to see which technique he chooses and which one works!

Thank you ALL for the recommendations. I'm MOST impressed that there was not a single sarcastic or critical comment made... publicly anyway.

I considered every recommendation. There's not much space through the tank filler site to look down. I considered inserting a mirror into the tank for a look around. I considered getting a flexible scope for a look see.

I liked the shop vacuum idea. The wad of tape on the end of a coat hangar was feasible.

I drained the tank. No matter how careful one might be, there's always spillage.

I tried the shop vac. No go!
I tried the "tape on hangar" method. Not even close!

I pulled the "in tank float"... for two inspection holes: still not much to see.

Shoot! What's involved with pulling the tank?
It turned out to be simple!!! I removed three hoses, two screws, and one bolt... y voila!!

I lifted the tank off and no more than two minutes later had the tank inverted, shaken, and the tube was promptly delivered!!!

There was no apparent plastic tube break down. It looks and feels like it did before the misadventure. (Might it have remained unchanged over time?)

No, the tubing does not float. Yes, I checked it in the old fuel.

Now I'll clean all of the dust, dirt, and debris that has collected under the the tank on the frame and such (for how long?)... and put 'er all back together again.

Lessons learned... plus I know my "ride" a little better than I did before.
All's well that ends well.

Thanks for all the attention and generous comments.

G'day.

Another great succes story here at the "BEST on the NET" bar none.

Bet ya don't do that again. Although a lot of great thought came out of all the probable answers. Glad to hear ya got it out.

Back