Garbled Intercom

Discussion in 'Communications And Radio' started by scsharp2260, Apr 13, 2011.

1. scsharp2260

scsharp2260 Member

Okay not sure if this has been posted before. I have a 2009 Road Glide which I have build up into a Ultra. I did the latest radio software upgrade and now my wife says that when I try to talk to her on the intercom in just sounds all garbled, yet I hear her just fine. I am using the Haley headsets.

2. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

It is a little hard to tell under the wind sock but check that your mic is in the right position and not turned away from your mouth.

3. Mattman4403

Mattman4403 Junior Member

Is garbled just faint or static

4. scsharp2260

scsharp2260 Member

I think it is wind noise but I can't get her to explain it any better then that. She says once we get over 40 MPH she can't make out anything I say. I asked her if it was background noise and she said it was a gabled and she could not make out what I was saying. The thing about it is that it had been working fine until I did the I did the software upgrade.

5. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

If you can hear her just fine I don't think the upgrade is the problem. I'm not familuar with the set you have is it a unidirectional mic?

6. scsharp2260

scsharp2260 Member

I just installed new headsets we'll try them this weekend and see if it changes anything.

7. scsharp2260

scsharp2260 Member

Well went on a nice 300 mile ride yesterday, new headsets worked just fine.

8. Fatboy 07

Fatboy 07 Member

scsharp2260, I have a 2008 Ultra and went through 3 HD headsets and 2 new cables from radio plug to my helmet. Tried the last new won (all on warranty!) when the wife and I went to Reno Street Vibrations (from Oregon 440 miles), and headset was messing up before we got to Reno.

When I arrived in Reno, I went directly to Reno Harley where J&M was set up and purchased and had them install their headset in my helmet. Next day, wife and I went to Virginia City and the J&M headset worked so much better than the HD that I returned to J&M and had my wife's exchanged as well.

They are so much better than the HD headsets that I would not have believed it myself.

Problem I had with the HD's was at the helmet plug-in. After a little use I had to wiggle the plug-in to make it work. It would work for a little while and then I think the wind would move it enough to make it stop working.

I have found that the J&M stuff is very good quality.

Good luck, and ride safe!

Roger

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2011
  9. scsharp2260

scsharp2260 Member

Yes several people in our chapter have them and love them, but I just can't afford them. Lost my job last March, so I do what I can.