free website stats program Garage Door Opener | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Garage Door Opener

There's a Craftsman garage door opener in my garage and I use Craftsman universal remotes - how to program: wnet.name/content/visor_compact_prog.html - programming of those garage door opener remotes is quick and easy, I do not even think of bike's built-in remote control and it's programming...

I just took an extra Chamberlin garage door opener and removed the spring clip. I measure the spot where I wanted to mount it and proceeded to cut down and reshape the clip to use as a mounting clip for my remote. Once I made sure I trimmed the clip small enough to hide behind the remote, I did a final shaping of the clip so the remote would slide and lock into position securely. It worked like a charm and I now have 3 garage doors programmed into it.

I bought the small keychain remote at lowes and mounted it on the right side above the lower fork tube bracket behind the toggle switch key switch cover. It cost 35 bucks. Mounted it with 3 m double side tape an velcro. Works great cant be seen. I just reach under the cover and press the button.

For those that do not have openers and such on their bike already. Buy a small key chain remote that works. Take it apart and find the two holes next to the button on printed circuit board. Take two small wires and strip on both ends. Stick one end of each wire into the holes adjacent to the button on the circuit board. Touch the other end of the wires together. See if it operates the door as if pushing the button. If so, solder longer small wires into the same holes on the circuit board. Notch the cover so with a file so the wires come out of the cover. Use some velcro and mount the opener in the nacelle or fairing. Run the wires to the left switch cover. Go to Radio Shack and buy a mini momentary button. Remove bottome left switch cover and drill a hole for the button on the bottom of the cover. A dremel tool to remove some material in the bottom of the cover so it fits nice and snug. Mount button and solder wires to button and neaten them up. cover the button inside the cover with JB Weld to keep water out. Reinstall the switch covers. Enjoy a trouble free garage door opener. Just change the battery by opening the nacelle or reaching inside the fairing. I soldered some disconnects so I can remove the opener and change batteries. Also the very back corner of the left turn signal switch needs dremeled to allow clearance for new button. It is not enough that you can even see it once the cover is reinstalled.

I have pics somewhere I can post if interested. I had it in the self help section at one time but it got deleted when we the SH section got destroyed the last time........

Attachments

• DSCN0434.jpg
    DSCN0434.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN0436.jpg
    DSCN0436.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I just keep one of the remotes that came with the opener and leave it in my windshield bag, Then All I have to do is press on the bag where the remote is..
I even keep my Ez pass in there..Both work every time.

Nope. It won't work with any "smart" door lifts. Only with the mated receiver. I tried too. Mine just stopped working. Found the instructions, so I'm going to try a reset on mine.
Found the instructions at
harley-davidson.
com/en_US/Media
/downloads/Service
/isheets/-J02028.pdf

Back