free website stats program Garage Door Opener | Harley Davidson Forums

Garage Door Opener

J

jimharvey1

When I had the fairing off my 07 Ultra to install LED turn signals, I noticed this obviously not-factory-installed circuit board looking thing that looked like it was mounted upside down with the circuit board showing on the left side inner fairing above the cigarette lighter. I didn't have a clue as to what it was but I recently discovered it is apparently the HD Garage Door Opener transmitter that activates the garage door opener when the hi/lo beam is toggled. I investigated this device a little further and got information that the kit is part number 91558-01A. Reading the instructions it apparently has a receiver that is wired to the garage door opener. I never got a receiver when I bought the bike (used) so I assume whoever had the bike before kept it as you can buy the transmitter kit (91561-01) and receiver kit (91562-01) individually a little cheaper that the whole system kit together.

In reading the programming instructions, they seemed very similar to the programming instructions for my car's remote for the garage door opener. Before I go on, let me add that my garage door opener is a Genie screwdrive unit with Intellicode. Anyway, I tried to link the bike by putting the opener's reciever in "learn" mode and cycling the headlights hi/lo/hi but it apparently didn't link. (learn light on the opener stayed flashing.)

My question is, is the HD transmitter compatible with any garage door opener receiver (Intellicode, or other rolling-code technology) other than the receiver from HD? They have the receiver-only kit listed at $69.95 + tax & shipping.

I did read the article on installing a button from Radio Shack to the LH switch housing and wiring it to a key fob for the opener that is strategically placed somewhere on the bike but if I can figure out how to get this transmitter that is already installed in my fairing to talk to my present opener's receiver, I could save $70+ bucks and not have to worry about changing remote control batteries every so often.

Anyone had any luck at this? Maybe it's a different radio frequency, I dunno. Does the HD unit work well enough as far as range to justify the investment for a receiver to install on my opener?

I'm not familiar with the HD hardware but with a car you would activate the learn mode on the car(bike) and aim and press your transmitter (remote opener) at the transmitter until the flashing light turns solid. At that point the transmitter on the car(bike) memorizes the signal and now when pressed will open the garage door. Give it a try.

I did...it didn't work. But then, there is supposed to be a LED on the transmitter (nestled inside my fairing and not able to be seen without taking the fairing apart) that flashes on for 1 second when you toggle the hi/lo/hi beam indicating the transmitter is transmitting. I haven't had the urge to pull the fairing off to check it yet. I was curious as if anyone had any luck linking the HD transmitter to a non-HD receiver on an existing opener before I went that route to troubleshoot.

No idea if it will work with ay other receiver, but I do have the HD one and it works well and has better range

I just hooked up my actual garage door opener inside the fairing. it ran off a small 12V battery, so I removed the battery and soldered two wires to the battery tabs inside the remote and connected them to the cigarette lighter for power with a switch in between that I mounted below the cigarette lighter. Works great... been in there for 6 years now.

My device is much cheaper and works just fine. I arrive home, she hears the bike and is programmed to run outside and open the garage :newsmile01:

Yeah, that's the same brand I'm running now. But now that I realize that I have the HD transmitter under in the fairing already, I'll come around the corner flashing my headlight and see if it opens faster...or at all! :)

Recently played around with my garage door opener...apparently the year of manufacture MATTERS. Check and see if the H-D garage door opener has any maker's mark and date code. The deal is compatibility likely depends on age of the unit, model and rev. If you are able to determine the OEM maker, they may have a cross reference list. All that info should at least get you on your way.

Honestly, I was wondering about the H-D accessory, really expected them to offer a universal remote transmitter rather than try to sell a transmitter AND a receiver, only compatible to itself. In this day and age of universal remote controls it would be a real hard sell...don't know what their marketing department was thinking. JMO...

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the HD reciever, but on other units, the reciever is located in the garage and is wired in parallel with your manual open button so that when you flash your lights the transmitter in the bike sends a signal to the reciever which then closes a set of contacts to open the door. It doesn't actually talk to your opener. Doing it this way they are able to make the setup work with any brand of opener. Hope this helps.

Back