free website stats program FXST Headlight | Harley Davidson Forums

FXST Headlight

mrriehl

Can anyone tell me how to get the wires unplugged from the headlight connector that plugs into the headlight on an '07 FXST? I need to replace the headlight shell but I don't want to splice the wires or remove the tank to get to the main connectors.
Thanks.

If you probe inside the socket with a fine wire type instrument, there are tabs that need to be pushed down so the wires can slide out the back of the socket.

There's some posts in the electrical section of the self help area that will show you how they work.

I have a 07 FXST. I have not done this but was told by a harley machanic that you can take the front and rear bolts out on the tank and the tank will slide back about 2 inches. You can then reach the connector to unplug the headlamp. You do not have to unhook anything else or remove the tank.
Rick

I have a 07 FXST. I have not done this but was told by a harley machanic that you can take the front and rear bolts out on the tank and the tank will slide back about 2 inches. You can then reach the connector to unplug the headlamp. You do not have to unhook anything else or remove the tank.
Rick

I believe you will still find that the hole in the shell is too small to pass the plug through when replacing the shell.

Thanks, guys. I've been told that if I don't disconnect the fuel line from the tank there is a high probability i will break it off. I tried disconnecting it but fuel continually drips. I have also tried probing inside inside the socket and I found a silver tab that appears to push back into the connector but can't seem to get the wires to budge.

Thank, Glider. I've worked with the type of connector illustrated in the link you sent. This looks more like an automotive connector. I'm also taking your advice and upgrading to the 80/100 bulb!

I just posted that as a reference, it's similar in operation to remove the wires from the headlight plug.

Thanks, Glider. Last night I tried again and finally figured it out. There are 2 small black spring type tabs in each socket. Both tabs need to be pressed and the plug almost falls out. On my way home from work tonight I'm stopping to pick up my 80/100 bulb and put my headlight back together.

This sight ROCKS!!

Back