free website stats program FXST 1984 Starting problem | Harley Davidson Forums

FXST 1984 Starting problem

FXST 1984

The bike starts ok,Well sometimes.It's just that when I let off the Starter button it still tries to start.It's like I have a dead ground.Could that be the problem.I have put a new relay,new solinoid,But it still does the same thing.

With a new relay and solenoid I would be checking the switch itself. Maybe some moisture/corrosion causing the switch to not disengage. Check the switch with an ohm meter to see if the switch is releasing when you let off the button.

Welcome the the forum.

I agree with TripleJ on the start button itself. If not, possibly a starter solenoid hanging up.

If after releasing the start button the starter stays engaged you have a bad starter button or a bad solenoid. You say you replaced the solenoid so the odds on are the start button, May try cleaning the contacts first:s Tho I have seen solenoids do the same thing, You can take them apart and repair them, you do not have to replace them, many are mis led by this 65-88 STARTER SOLENOID REPAIR KIT fits Harley PANHEAD SPORTSTER SHOVELHEAD EVO 65-88 STARTER SOLENOID REPAIR KIT fits Harley PANHEAD SPORTSTER SHOVELHEAD EVO - eBay (item 130591732305 end time Nov-22-11 17:32:53 PST)

Thanks I'll check the button tomorrow.I had a leak on the solenoid around the cap and so everytime I washed the bike ya all can take it from there thanks for help.

Back