FXRS Screamin Eagle Slip On Problem

Discussion in 'FXR Models' started by jim14, Mar 28, 2010.

1. jim14

jim14 New Member

Bought a new set of 8007-84b screamin eagle slip on mufflers but could not install them as they would not "slip On". Used a lot of force (Hammer) but they are just too tight for the pipe to slip on. I was removing a set of MS-123 cycle shack slip on mufflers. Any one have a similar problem?? Harley tag on the box shows they are for all FXR models. I was installing them on my 1993 FXRS.

2. Fossil

Fossil Active Member

Maybe they are for an FXR Shovel Head. Fossil

3. jim14

jim14 New Member

Thanks for the response. I will check with the Harley dealer today to see the p/n compatability list. They are only about .001-.002 from slipping on. I can slip them on down to the solid from the flutes but then they stop going any further.

4. r44s

r44s Member

Run your finger on the inside of the pipe and feel if there are any burrs keeping the pipe from going on further.

5. jim14

jim14 New Member

Thanks for all the responses. I took the pipes to the local HD guru and he advised that they are hard to install the first time. He advised to check for burrs and then run a sand disc lightly inside to polish them a little. I will try again in a week. I checked them with calipers and they should fit. Hopefully they will be a little louder than the cycle shack baloney cuts I am removing. I will post some pictures of our 1993 and 1991 Black FXRS's as soon as I find out how to do it. They are both very clean bikes and mostly original except for the exhaust and modulating headlights. Wife rides the 1991 and I have the 1993. Have a good day.

6. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

when my slipons dont slip i heat mine w/ map gas tourch or use a muffler pipe expander if its a tough one.

7. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

That is what I was going to suggest. Stop by your local muffler shop and have them put a mandrel in them to expand a tiny bit.

8. jim14

jim14 New Member

Does the mandrel split/damage the chrome when they expand the muffler?

9. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Good point, chrome is brittle. With just a little expanding, any damage should be covered by the muffler clamp . Ask the muffler guy first.

10. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

heat the area a little pipe expanders can be bought at auto store about 10 bucks. U heat it up it will slip on..