free website stats program FXR v FXDX | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

FXR v FXDX

howdy, read your post and got a question for ya, I have an 86 FXRS and love it except the spungy front end. Want to change out the front end for something more beefy. You said that switching out the front end to a wide glide messed up the handling?? thats what i am trying to determine before I make the switch. What do you think about going to fatter tubes and a midglide??

thanks
==================================================
Fatter tubes and a midglide would probably be a good conversion, but pricy.
An inexpensive improvement to the forks would be Progressive fork springs and a heavier fork oil. Maybe even put a fork brace on. I went with P. springs and Harley's middle fork oil on my Dyna. It very much improved the ride and handling. Most noticeable was lack of fork dive when using the front brake. I don't need a brace.

84 FXRS was my first HD, From there to a FXRS-SP, Then to a 99 FXDX which I would still be ridding if a girl hadn't tried to park her Acord in my rear wheel. The FXR frame is probably more ridgid, but my FXDX handled the 100+ hp & Tq OK

FXR is a nice bike, and while I REALLY like my "newer" tech Sporty for the rubber engine mounts, greater availablility of parts and features...and as a solo everyday bike with casual 2up rideing it is hard to beat. :newsmile040:

But as a second bike for riding two up, and sport touring, the bigger framed FXR makes very good sense. Thanks for the tips Hobbit, Glider and Richard...pretty good endorsement I would say, and get your's truly in a lot of trouble...yeah..."Thanks a LOT!" :newsmile100:

Probably the best handling bike H D ever built, and there are still a lot of them around, Im eyeing one in Jax now

Back