free website stats program FXR tranny upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

FXR tranny upgrade

PanScott

Hi everyone,
The old Lady has a 1986 FXRD and the tranny is in need of some serious loving, False nuetrals, hard to find nuetral, goes in to gear hard(more than usual), pops out of 1st. You get the picture.

Instead of piulling and rebuliding the stock taper shaft tranny I may as well upgrade to a splined shaft unit.

Has any one been there done that? It is the same unit as a FLT I hear, so you early road glide guys can chime in as well.
Is the splined shaft tranny a completely different unit?
Can I rebuild mine and swap out the taper shaft for a splined shaft?
If I do swap out the main shaft am I missing out on other upgrades a later trans will have?
Is there a splined shaft trans that uses the early starter?

Any help is appreciated,
PanScott

Dont know, tho the early 5 speeds had shaft problems I E they would shear the splines, and leave u stranded

Yes, you can install a splined shaft, Contact Baker drivetrain and consider using their forks, shift drum and shifter setup. very smooth shifting.

I am assuming 91-94 FXR/FLT trannys are what I am looking for . Ultima says 90 and later cases for the 6 speed conversion, I guess cause of the clutch release mechanism. Is it a lot better than the early 5 speeds?

If you want to keep all your old gears, use a shaft for a 1990 model year, it will work with the earlier gears. However you are better off replacing the entire gearset with a newer one with low mileage, lots of them out there due to people going with aftermarket 6 speed units.

You will also have to change the clutch because of the splined mainshaft.

I put a `99 gearset in my `89, it was simple.

Back