free website stats program fxr starter | Harley Davidson Forums

fxr starter

unclemadman

I have a 1986 fxrs has about 200k on it. Rebuilt the engine and put several miles on it. Now hit the start button and the starter turns motor 1 rotation then kicks out. Starter still turns just not engaged. I have put 2 new starter solenoids on it and replaced starter relay. Still have the same problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Welcome from So. Texas. Sounds like your starter drive is out, also referred to as a Bendix. Take your outer primary off and look for the small gear that engages to the clutch when starting. You should be only able to turn that gear in 1 direction only. If it goes both ways then it is bad. I would disconnect you Neg. battery terminal 1st. though. Do you have a service manual? Don't try to start the bike with outer primary off either.
tourbox

Welcome from So. Texas. Sounds like your starter drive is out, also referred to as a Bendix. Take your outer primary off and look for the small gear that engages to the clutch when starting. You should be only able to turn that gear in 1 direction only. If it goes both ways then it is bad. I would disconnect you Neg. battery terminal 1st. though. Do you have a service manual? Don't try to start the bike with outer primary off either.
tourbox
Thank you I will Chech that out. Love the bike it's been good to me. Just this little problem. Thanks again

Back