free website stats program FXR Starter question | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

FXR Starter question

not that I can see w/ them installed, I am a little worried that the one closest to the front of the bike is a little bent it almost seems like it is wobbling a little when I spin it

Greetings folks,

I have an 87 FLHTC with a worn Starter Drive as well. I am in the same position that vtfxr was in with everything disassembled but can't get the starter drive shaft past the clutch housing.

I wanted to see if anyone had any additional suggestions before I attempt to pull the clutch as vtfxr did to get his out.

I tried a set of vice grips around a thick cloth to remove the nut on the end of the shaft but couldn't budge it. I also have a small vise I was thinking of putting on the starter end of the shaft (not on the splines) to see if that would hold it more securely but I am concerned that I will screw up the shaft if I do that.

Any additional thoughts before I pull the clutch apart?

Thanks!

Hey royalt3,
I'm not sure if the clutch set up is same on your bike as mine but it wasn't really a problem to pull the clutch out a little, on the face were four bolts that when they came out I was able to remove the pressure plate and diaprham spring (don't remove small bolt in center of pressure plate or you will have to readjust clutch) then I loosened the clutch hub nut (mine had left hand threads so it removed clockwise) enough to slide clutch hub assembly foward enough so that the starter shaft (w/starter drive) would slide up and over ring gear, the I put shaft in vise positioned so it wouldn't mess up twhere it slides through the oil seals, then after wards used emery cloth to smooth out any burs. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but you really should have a manual to help guide you, once again this worked for my bike but I have know idea if it will work for yours, goodluck

Thanks vtfxr,

I tried to post a pic but the forum won't let me because I don't have 5 posts yet. However it sounds like my setup is pretty close to yours so I'll probably give it a shot.

I do have a Clymer manual but as many others on here have said it is pretty worthless. I'll have to see if I can get a shop manual from HD one of these days.

Thanks!

Hey royalt3,
I'm not sure if the clutch set up is same on your bike as mine but it wasn't really a problem to pull the clutch out a little, on the face were four bolts that when they came out I was able to remove the pressure plate and diaprham spring (don't remove small bolt in center of pressure plate or you will have to readjust clutch) then I loosened the clutch hub nut (mine had left hand threads so it removed clockwise) enough to slide clutch hub assembly foward enough so that the starter shaft (w/starter drive) would slide up and over ring gear, the I put shaft in vise positioned so it wouldn't mess up twhere it slides through the oil seals, then after wards used emery cloth to smooth out any burs. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but you really should have a manual to help guide you, once again this worked for my bike but I have know idea if it will work for yours, goodluck

Are you guys benting the locking tab on the jackshaft ive never had a problem pulling the shaft out after bending the locking tab back on the jackshaft then removing it in sections but pay att to how it breaks down,jel

jel123,

This year doesn't have the tab on the jackshaft.

I was able to get the jackshaft out using vtfxr's technique. And as a bonus I got to make sure my clutch didn't need replacing!

I just got back with the new gear so hopefully I'll be able to get it back together soon.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I just replaced the starter on my '04 Sporty, fortunately, the 2 HEX mounting screws are the only things that are near the ring gear and just barely have enough clearance to remove them without moving the cluch assy and such...! I can only imagine the additional hours to replace the bad starter drive would have taken on your bikes.

My hats off to Vtfxr and Royalt3 on a job well done and your successful transition to the HD school of "hard knocks" made easier by Glider and company. :bigsmiley12: I for one, now feel much better about working on my bike, after doing this beginner "Starters 101" project which to me was a "major/routine maintenance" job, but so typical for most HD enthusiast/diyer will encounter early on...after of course the usual Stage I performance mods, tire takeoff/change etc. :D

Back